How to make a remote control car follow me using my phone. ### Help ###

Hi,
I Started making a remote control car and would like make it automatically follow me using my phone. I am not sure how to accomplish this. Can I make it follow me by using the Bluetooth on my Phone or may be using the Wifi?
Thanks for your Help?

You'll find ideas there:

That was a great video Thank you, however they did not incorporate Bluetooth or Wifi I am looking to make the RC car follow me based on Bluetooth on wifi only.
Have any other ideas!!!

Thanks

I you were in a remote location, you could have a rotate-able directional antenna on the car, and use that to determine which direction you are in from the highest signal strength. However such a system is going to be useless if you are somewhere where you get reflections from surrounding objects, walls etc.

"I am looking to make the RC car follow me based on Bluetooth or WiFi only."

Build a test jig with four Bluetooth modules, separated by metal shields. See if you can tell which direction your cellphone is from the jig and roughly how far away it is. If that works you can mount it on an RC car and use the information to steer that car.

however they did not incorporate Bluetooth or Wifi I am looking to make the RC car follow me based on Bluetooth on wifi only.

Probably not going to be practical for you to attempt. There have been other "follow me" project request and most have apparently been abandoned. It might be possible, but it would be a very involved and complex project.

Bluetooth and Wifi are poor choices because they are specifically designed to work around objects and with multiple reflections off walls, floors etc. The robot sees signal 'everywhere' so it can't find a direction.

Another radio frequency is almost certainly required. I don't know what might be suitable but your phone probably isn't able to transmit on that frequency without some deep hacking.

Radio direction finding is always troublesome as the directivity of an antenna, (its ability to determine from what direction a radio signal is coming from ) , is proportional to its gain , which is proportional to its size.
In other words you need a big antenna, and then some method of rotating it.
Even at 2.4 Ghz a directional antenna will be a lot bigger than the car.
GPS is really the only reliable way of making models follow you.