How to make a smart watch using arduino

Hi,
I want to make a arudiono based smartwatch under $100
it should have the following feature :-
1.Android based os
2.Bluetooth
3.Wifi
and the most important hing samll in size.

"1.Android based os"

Why put an Andriod os, which undoubtedly needs tons of resources, on a little microcontroller?
Have you looked at the size of bluetooth and Wifi components? I don't you can get as "small in size" as you might desire.

ok then i want with these features :slight_smile:

1.Stop watch
2.time,Date,Year
3.Touchscreen
4.Web browser
5.Music Player
6.Timer

If you want a web browser or android os, you need to do more research.

I'd guess you'll need at least a few hundred MBs of RAM to load android, maximum amount of ram on an arduino is less then 100kb !
You now more or less are trying to pull a car with a model car instead of the other way around and You'll probably have to look for a more advanced 32-bit ARM-controller.

Small & for less as $100 will probably be a problem as well. You may need to choose expensive components for their size and it's very hard to build cheap electronics if you don't produce 'm by the millions.

You probably will also need a special assembly-firm since components are so tiny that most people don't have the equipment/experience needed to handle them.

i want with these features

Buy a cheap itouch & strap it your wrist. Browser via wifi.
Buy a cheap smartphone & strap it your wrist. Browser via phone network.

Must be a good reason this was originally posted in "Bar Sport". :smiley:

But can we make the given features without arduino?

But can we make the given features without arduino?

Of course, but that begs the question "Why did you post here?"

I know this is a bit late, but have a look at this Make Your Own Smart Watch : 9 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables
It is very simple and you can buy everything for under £25 at most. It has basic functionality I.e. Shows the time, messages in two categories, RSS feeds and system information, as well as notifications

Even better, just $29
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-LG-L34C-Optimus-Fuel-Android-Smartphone/36202741 with
Straight Talk No-Contract Plan

CrossRoads:
Even better, just $29
Robot or human? with
Straight Talk No-Contract Plan

You are off by a few dollars. You need a wrist strap to compete against that instructable.

Or a piece of duct tape ...

I guess someone decided to make that watch for him after all:

It's a little more expensive than he wanted though: $200

I just think it is a bit early to make this stuff as a DIYer, for those without a lot of money, time, and experience. But expect in a few years that these products become just as popular as smart phones and production of the parts becomes huge in quantity. That may spill some parts into the DIY market, like the accelerometers etc. There would be some legal issues too, unless the large companies all forget to slap patent claims all over their displays.

I know this is an old thread, but...

I its now practical to re-program an existing smart watch / fitness tracker, with the Arduino IDE as long as its based on the Nordic Semi nRF51822 MCU - because there are multiple Third Party Arduino cores for the nRF51822

I just reprogammed a couple of different smart watches, using a modified Arduino core by RedBearLab

In case anyone is interested, here is a video showing that is definitely possible

Hi,

rogerClark:
I know this is an old thread, but...

I its now practical to re-program an existing smart watch / fitness tracker, with the Arduino IDE as long as its based on the Nordic Semi nRF51822 MCU - because there are multiple Third Party Arduino cores for the nRF51822

I just reprogammed a couple of different smart watches, using a modified Arduino core by RedBearLab

In case anyone is interested, here is a video showing that is definitely possible

- YouTube

G'day Roger, I hope you programmed it with some application that was sensible, like an alarm the goes off just as the bus or tram is going to hit you while you have your head buried in your smartie phone thingy.
It could log your last minutes of stupidity, so that a lot of time is not wasted at the coroners court.
May be even a "000" function, "911" in the UsofAye, and use the smartie phone via it is bluey toothything connection to give a GPS location.
All this to minimise the expesive infrasturcture that is used to save/recover/investigate these unfortunate episodes.
Idea: have the smartie phone camera on all the time and open a frame on the smarty phone screen showing the user what they are about to walk into, or is about to come crashing into them.
I should kickstart that idea... make millions, save some souls and have great youtube footage of terrified bus/tram/train drivers. (poor sods, you have to feel for them.)
Tom.. fell free to use my idea, but my solicitor will be in contact if you make any money out of it... :o

TomGeorge:
Hi,G'day Roger, I hope you programmed it with some application that was sensible, like an alarm the goes off just as the bus or tram is going to hit you while you have your head buried in your smartie phone thingy.
It could log your last minutes of stupidity, so that a lot of time is not wasted at the coroners court.
May be even a "000" function, "911" in the UsofAye, and use the smartie phone via it is bluey toothything connection to give a GPS location.
All this to minimise the expesive infrasturcture that is used to save/recover/investigate these unfortunate episodes.
Idea: have the smartie phone camera on all the time and open a frame on the smarty phone screen showing the user what they are about to walk into, or is about to come crashing into them.
I should kickstart that idea... make millions, save some souls and have great youtube footage of terrified bus/tram/train drivers. (poor sods, you have to feel for them.)
Tom.. fell free to use my idea, but my solicitor will be in contact if you make any money out of it... :o

yeah, basically it's so useless device
but still worse your sarcasm is a crap
(is that sarcasm ? UsofAye ? oh man)

Hi,
[soapbox]
Yes SARCASM, I am an AUSSIE.. OI..OI..OI..

I don't have a smartie phone, don't need one, don't have time to facey book, twiddler etc..
I can see their uses, but the emotion that goes with what it does or doesn't do is ridiculous, no phono plug????
Want to listen t your music, get a walkman or port CD player, and earphones that let the sound IN, not keep it OUT.

My phone is a phone, SMS, and camera, that is all I need.
My battery lasts 5days and if I have to replace it I just buy one and clip it in, the only special tool needed, my fingers, they come standard with most human bodies.

I don't line up at the tomato shop 48hours before a new smarty comes out in blackerblack... I'm at work helping the wheels of commerce to keep rolling.

SARCASM yes.... and proud of it..
[/soapbox]

Tom.... :slight_smile:
PS This Bar Sports, ChillOut..

Reason for my rant/soapbox.
Almost ran someone over in my car last night.
It was dark, they were wearing black and didn't even notice my headlights until I hit the horn.
Plugged in an looking for pokemon.
Didn't hit them because I saw the glow of the smartie phone, wish they had dropped the phone, would have sounded lovely as it went under the car tyre.

TomGeorge:
Reason for my rant/soapbox.
Almost ran someone over in my car last night.
It was dark, they were wearing black and didn't even notice my headlights until I hit the horn.
Plugged in an looking for pokemon.
Didn't hit them because I saw the glow of the smartie phone, wish they had dropped the phone, would have sounded lovely as it went under the car tyre.

Nobody told you that it was Pedestrian Suicide day?