How to make an arduino controlled flip clock?

Hello everyone, I need some help to make this flip clock project come to life that all the details found on this website: http://www.coders.sk/w/flipclock

Since I have got no Arduino experience so far in my life, I need your help to done this project. I don't understand anything about guidances found on the project's website. But I am completely sure that the entire project only took 2 days for them to finish. So, If you can help me step by step on how to do this project, at least if you can guide me, we can done this project together in max. 3 days.

But if I had to learn how to do this project on myself, it would take me 1 months or more. Because, I have never experienced Arduino and don't need to experience it in the rest of my life because its not my job. I just need to done this project in some way.

The best idea is to get help from community. Anyway, project is completely revealed with all of its details so it makes whole process very clear and easy. I hope we can done this project by the help of this great community and people. Thanks in advance...

Note: I am going to buy any of the electronic device that needed to done this project.

Edit 1: The only thing I want your help is to guide me step by step. For example, you can tell me to buy a flip clock. Or attach this relay or led on the board...

Don't we have a sticky for correct response to this kind of request??

The web site has schematics, code and commentary. What more do you need?

The hard part will be finding a flip-clock module exactly like the one they found. It's called a Pragotron IPJ 0612 flip slave clock. A few are available from eBay but the ones I have seen cost hundreds of dollars. Good luck.

terryking228: Don't we have a sticky for correct response to this kind of request??

Hi terryking228, in fact, I didn't understand what do you mean by saying sticky. I am sorry for this because my native language is Turkish. I taught myself how to speak English. So if you meant that "Didn't this topic already answered in our forums?", then the answer is no. There is no projects related to this flip clock project neither in this forum nor throughout the internet. The only resource is the link that I've shared at the first message.

aarg: The web site has schematics, code and commentary. What more do you need?

That's right. The website has all sorts of informations needed to done this project. But I've got zero experience with arduino. So i can buy a flip clock but it might wont work. I've got 0 experience for real. But this project given to me should be done in some way. At this point, I think I need some help. And by talking people, we found out new problems that we may encounter during the development process. Like johnwasser said, every flip clock wont work in this project but you should find a proper one. Thanks...

johnwasser:
The hard part will be finding a flip-clock module exactly like the one they found. It’s called a Pragotron IPJ 0612 flip slave clock. A few are available from eBay but the ones I have seen cost hundreds of dollars. Good luck.

Thanks for you valuable help johnwasser. You said that any flip clock mechanism wont work. I’ve found a flip clock on alibaba to buy. But dont know if it will work or not. You look familiar with flip clock mechanisms. Will this piece of mechanism work in this project? http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Unique-Retro-Desk-Wall-Clock-Auto_1011174743.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.354.dwm2ho

And yes, high costs are big problem for me. Especially when we are talkin about hunderds of dollars :))

Edit: If it needs to add a little extra information: The person who build this project used industrial type flip clock found in the railways station. But it might be possible to do the same using a cheaper flip clock. At this point, they said, “we can’t help you because we don’t know if it will work or not with any other flip clock mechanism.”

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Unique-Retro-Desk-Wall-Clock-Auto_1011174743.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.354.dwm2ho

Note that the minimum order quantity is 50!

You can get the same clock from Amazon.com for $11.19: http://www.amazon.com/ZJchao-Unique-Design-Simple-Modern/dp/B00C96DJRE

Looks like it has a way of flipping forward either the hour or minute. Depending on the mechanism you might be able to drive the electro-mechanicals directly with an Arduino or you may need to add solenoids or servos to work mechanical levers. Without taking one apart I can't be sure.

In any case, this is a different mechanism and runs on 3V instead of 24V so it might be easier to interface with.

johnwasser:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Unique-Retro-Desk-Wall-Clock-Auto_1011174743.html?spm=a2700.7724857.29.354.dwm2ho

Note that the minimum order quantity is 50!

You can get the same clock from Amazon.com for $11.19: http://www.amazon.com/ZJchao-Unique-Design-Simple-Modern/dp/B00C96DJRE

Looks like it has a way of flipping forward either the hour or minute. Depending on the mechanism you might be able to drive the electro-mechanicals directly with an Arduino or you may need to add solenoids or servos to work mechanical levers. Without taking one apart I can’t be sure.

In any case, this is a different mechanism and runs on 3V instead of 24V so it might be easier to interface with.

Yes, it has a way of flipping forward every minute and hour but not seconds. When it comes to using servos or solenoids, yes maybe we need. I would like to stick into what they used in the original project. But its a possibility. Because we don’t know how it will be like at this point. Thanks for your help.

It would take 1 week or more to get the delivery from Amazon. Because shipping from America to Turkey is always very very slow. But it worths to try to make this project come to life. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

By the way, I will this one: https://www.amazon.com/ZJchao-Unique-Design-Simple-Modern/dp/B00C96DJRE?ie=UTF8&Version=1&entries=0

Hi everyone me, again. I will order all required parts for this project from Amazon. My request is, could anyone list all the parts required to build this flip clock project please? I am not familiar with arduino and mechanics so I don't know their technical names. You can list their names like wires, relays, breadboards vs. vs. vs.

http://www.coders.sk/w/flipclock

Project is here :)

I will order all required parts for this project from Amazon. My request is, could anyone list all the parts required to build this flip clock project please? I am not familiar with arduino and mechanics so I don't know their technical names. You can list their names like wires, relays, breadboards vs. vs. vs.

So if you meant that "Didn't this topic already answered in our forums?", then the answer is no. There is no projects related to this flip clock project neither in this forum nor throughout the internet. The only resource is the link that I've shared at the first message.

No, actually, what he meant was not the topic of the clock but a "sticky" topic about the fact that the forum is not intended for requesting step by step guidance through a project.

Unfortunately, the forum is not intended to guide you step by step through a project like this. The prerequisite for starting such a project is a basic understanding of electronics. You cannot skip that because you are in a hurry. Everything you need to know is on the website link you already posted. If you want to post to learn how to control a single relay, then you can post for that. As far as guiding someone with no electronics experience and no desire to learn electronics step by step all the way through the project, I don't believe that is going to happen here.

raschemmel:
No, actually, what he meant was not the topic of the clock but a “sticky” topic about the fact that the forum is not intended for requesting step by step guidance through a project.

Unfortunately, the forum is not intended to guide you step by step through a project like this.
The prerequisite for starting such a project is a basic understanding of electronics. You cannot skip that because you are in a hurry. Everything you need to know is on the website link you already posted. If you want to post to learn how to control a single relay, then you can post for that. As far as guiding someone with no electronics experience and no desire to learn electronics step by step all the way through the project, I don’t believe that is going to happen here.

That’s right, I’m in a hurry. But I should learn basics. How can I start to learn intended to this project?

That's right, I'm in a hurry. But I should learn basics. How can I start to learn intended to this project?

Speaking for myself, as I see it, the problem isn't so much that you say you don't understand anything as it is that you have all the information on the website you linked and you have researched nothing and have not asked any questions. I honestly don't know how to respond other than to suggest you start somewhere with one question and then research it somehow, somewhere. We are here to answer questions and you have not asked any. All you have done is request that we walk you through your build step by step. I'm sorry but that's just not how the forum works. If you have a question , ask. I can't tell you where to start because I don't know what you don't understand. Start at the beginning and learn it.

kalmageddon1: How can I start to learn intended to this project?

Buy the clock, open it up, and figure out how it is driven. It runs on two AA cells so that should be plenty safe.

The mains powered "alarm clock radio" flip clocks I opened many moons ago had a synchronous motor connected to a "minutes" drum, and a catch mechanism that advanced the hour on "00" minutes. Leo..

I think this is best done mechanically. The you only need to advance the minutes "wheel". A catch pin can then turn the hours.