How to make an incremental optical encoder with 2 phases cheaply?

Just want to make an easy substitute for an incremental optical encoder that we can find in printers. But sadly, I can't find any old broken printers with this particular encoder as most of them are using linear tape encoders.
Want to use this for a DIY force feedback simulator wheel!!!

Are you wanting to BUY or to MAKE one?
Paul

make one

Both parts? The easy part is the slotted wheel, use a laser printer and clear plastic sheet. Cut the circle.
The hard part will be making the plastic housing for the IR LED and the IR transistor sensor. But can be done using black plastic. That is how the original devices were made.
Paul

This code wheel generator software may help.

The ir led and ir transistor sensor can be brought as a whole. It called MOC 7811 but i don't know how to wire it up.

Here is how to wire it. The 47KΞ© pullup resistor (and +5V) can be replaced with the internal pullup on a digital pin.

so.....the o/p from the sensor can be said as one of the phases of the encoder....right?
The schematics of the project i am following is only saying about connecting the encoder's phase A, B, 5v and GND to the arduino.

You need to have TWO transistors to get the two-phase you asked about.
Paul

1 Like

aaa.....yes.....now it makes sense.

And the 2 photo transistors have to be positioned precisely to get quadrature outputs.

so.....how will the circuit look like after adding another transistor to the mix?

And that position is dependent on the slotted wheel you make. One transistor MUST be in the clear while the other is in the shadow.
Paul

1 Like

and also how do I make the codewheel?....not like in fabrication terms....but in design terms....cause i don't know much steps i should add....for the optimum resolution

oh.....got itπŸ‘

Using an Uno and pins 2 and 3 to take advantage of internal interrupts (if necessary).

1 Like

That means no "fringing" of the IR caused by fuzzy edges on the black.
Paul

can i give the +5v to both the sensors parallelly by connecting them both to the Vcc (+5) of the arduino???

so the laser cut must be precise....otherwise it would lead to glitches......right??

The LED parts, yes. The phototransistors get 5V through their internal pullup resistor.