how to make brakes for RC car ? [SOLVED]

hello guys,
is there anyway to make brakes for an RC car ?
if yes how and what do i have to use as components ?

check the attached files

Retro-rockets

http://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/engines/standard

firashelou: hello guys, is there anyway to make brakes for an RC car ? if yes how and what do i have to use as components ?

A google search might turn up examples so you can decide what type of braking you want.

zoomkat:

firashelou: hello guys, is there anyway to make brakes for an RC car ? if yes how and what do i have to use as components ?

A google search might turn up examples so you can decide what type of braking you want.

i did actully what i found but i was not sure about is that the IC used for reverse might do a braking !! but couldn't find a right way

AmbiLobe:
Retro-rockets

http://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/engines/standard

what does this has to do with my question ?!

I think he meant the use of Retro-rockets as reverse thrusters.

firashelou: is there anyway to make brakes for an RC car ?

How about you tell us -what- RC car you are using. I mean, there are literally hundreds of different RC cars out there on the market; you haven't explained which one you own.

The only other explanation is that you don't have -any- RC car, but are building one. If so - what parts are you using?

yes I am building one. I had one old so what I did is took its circuit and just keep the motors and I am building my circuit, what I want to do is 2 pedals one for throttle and one for brakes. the throttle I managed to do it but the brake not yet which means my brakes would be independant from the throttle like the normal rc controller, and I have a reverse button which means when I click it I can go backward

You haven't said if your proposed RC car will have an electric motor (which would allow electric braking) or an IC motor that requires some form of mechanical brake.

...R

Robin2:
You haven’t said if your proposed RC car will have an electric motor (which would allow electric braking) or an IC motor that requires some form of mechanical brake.

…R

ohh I’m sorry, yes sure it’s electric motor and it used to be fed with a reachargable set of 12v batteries

I think the 'normal' answer to breaking is 'regenerative'.

effectively you disconnect the battery from the motor and connect a load across it,

it might give you something to search on,

or try your local RC club, over a pint or two you can find out most thnigs.

if I want to make an engine brake using an h bridge and on the other hand I used ic h bridge to make a reverse using a button, when this button is clicked and I put my feet on pedal it will go in reverse, so how can I make the braking pedal with another h bridge ic? it should be independant which means 2 pedals!

If you use a H-bridge to make the motor go forwards and backwards then I imagine that a small amount of reverse power will act as a brake. There should be no need to have a second H-bridge even if, for convenience you want separate reverse and brake buttons.

...R

Robin2:
If you use a H-bridge to make the motor go forwards and backwards then I imagine that a small amount of reverse power will act as a brake. There should be no need to have a second H-bridge even if, for convenience you want separate reverse and brake buttons.

…R

ok this is what i am to know, how to make this happen as an independent brake pedal ?
for the reverse the same pedal used to go forward will be the throttle for going backward but the condition for that is that the reverse button should be clicked on

i added some picture for the motor i am using or the one already in the used RC car which i am getting rid of its circuits and adding mine

firashelou: ok this is what i am to know, how to make this happen as an independent brake pedal ? for the reverse the same pedal used to go forward will be the throttle for going backward but the condition for that is that the reverse button should be clicked on

This is a software issue, not a hardware issue. What happens to the signals to the h-bridge when you select reverse and press the accelerator? Make the same thing happen (though not as strongly) when you press the brake.

...R

Robin2:

firashelou: ok this is what i am to know, how to make this happen as an independent brake pedal ? for the reverse the same pedal used to go forward will be the throttle for going backward but the condition for that is that the reverse button should be clicked on

This is a software issue, not a hardware issue. What happens to the signals to the h-bridge when you select reverse and press the accelerator? Make the same thing happen (though not as strongly) when you press the brake.

...R

ohh great problem solved !! but can both pedals work if pressed together ? and can i make it like the real brakes i mean if i press a little it will slow down, if i press more it will press more and full brake will stop the car ?

Time for a little thought ...

You seem to know how to make your motor go forwards and backwards.

Can you describe how your code will cause the h-bridge to make the motor move in reverse at different speeds?

If you can write that down clearly I'm sure you will also see how to make your brake "pedal" work.

...R

Robin2: Time for a little thought ...

You seem to know how to make your motor go forwards and backwards.

Can you describe how your code will cause the h-bridge to make the motor move in reverse at different speeds?

If you can write that down clearly I'm sure you will also see how to make your brake "pedal" work.

...R

ok i understand then i must take a brake for now untill the supplier, from where i buy my components, bring me the IC for reverse control but i guess i understand your point, for the record the code i am using or the code i took a look at are those from Adafruit but for the reverse mission still did not try it because reverse ICs are missing for now. I will describe what i can understand from those code and please tell me if i am right : I can see here an analog read from a pot so what i have to do is make a map() and tell it to convert the value from 0 to whatever into for example 50 and so on untill 255 which will be the full braking when i hit the braking pedal which mean braking pin = HIGH (Am i right or not ?). If you have a tutorial about the method your talking about for the analogue current it would be great because till now i couldn't find any and still looking and thanks for all your help and time :) :

/* Adafruit Arduino - Lesson 15. Bi-directional Motor */ int enablePin = 11; int in1Pin = 10; int in2Pin = 9; int switchPin = 7; int potPin = 0; void setup() { pinMode(in1Pin, OUTPUT); pinMode(in2Pin, OUTPUT); pinMode(enablePin, OUTPUT); pinMode(switchPin, INPUT_PULLUP); } void loop() { int speed = analogRead(potPin) / 4; boolean reverse = digitalRead(switchPin); setMotor(speed, reverse); } void setMotor(int speed, boolean reverse) { analogWrite(enablePin, speed); digitalWrite(in1Pin, ! reverse); digitalWrite(in2Pin, reverse); }

Think what this piece of your code does

void setMotor(int speed, boolean reverse)
{
analogWrite(enablePin, speed);
digitalWrite(in1Pin, ! reverse);
digitalWrite(in2Pin, reverse);
}

The direction depends on whether 'reverse' is true or false and the motor will move at the speed determined by 'speed'.

First you need to know what your motor does when forward direction and 0 speed is selected. I assume you started this Topic because the motor keeps turning due to the momentum of the car - but if you have not yet built the car you will have to wait and see. Anyway, assume the car keeps moving and slowing, but not as quickly as you would like. What do you think would happen if you applied a small reverse current to the motor? Again you will have to do some experiments to see what actually happens. Do you think the smoke might escape somewhere if you apply a large reverse current? I don't know.

How would you get this electric brake to work while the car is moving backwards?

...R