how to make groups of neopixel leds

Best

Question about grouping LEDs so that I can program them a little easier.
I made a name plate with the text "STAR ROCKER", in each letter there are 8 addressed neopixel LEDs, so in the letter S there are 8, and in T there are 8 in and so on, 10 letters, so 80 LEDs in total . Now you can indicate a color per LED, for example:

c = strip.Color (255, 0, 0); // define the variable c as RED (R, G, B)
strip.setPixelColor (10, c); // put LED 10 in the color we put in the variable c (red)
strip.show (); // Update all LEDs (= makes LED 10 red)

Now the letters STAR all have red and ROCKER in the color blue.
How can I make STAR a group and ROCKER a group so that I do not have to fill in all the LEDs separately.

But, a light effect later I also want to be able to call the letters separately, so then the letter S comes, it has the LEDs 1 to 8, T leds 9 to 17, A leds 17 to 25 ect ect.

So the question is, who can help me with example of different group, STAR and ROCKER and the letters S T A R ect

Then I will try to program different light effects, running light, fading ect ect but that will come later.
If someone can help me with an example, or a link where this is described, thank you very much.

How can I make STAR a group and ROCKER a group so that I do not have to fill in all the LEDs separately.

Basically you can’t you will always have to light the LEDs separately.

At the simplest level you write a function that will fill a range of led numbers passed to it with a colour you pass to it. Then you call that function with the appropriate numbers for what you want to do.

You can write other functions that call that function to do things like define a colour scheme for all the LEDs and call that up when you need.

Hello thanks,

you mean something like this, the word STAR wil be the color red?

int myLEDs[ ] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8};
int myLEDt[ ] = {9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16};
int myLEDa[ ] = {17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24};
int myLEDr[ ] = {25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32};

int myLEDstar[ ] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32};

c = strip.Color(255, 0, 0); // define color red
strip.setPixelColor(myLEDstar, c); // the word STAR wil be red
strip.show(); // voor nu uit

So and with this code, only the S wil be red?

strip.setPixelColor(myLEDs, c); // leter C wil be red

So and with this code, only the S wil be red?

No.
This is because the setPixelColor methods expects a single number defining a single LED, what you are passing it is an array address.

So have a read of reply #1 again. The array bit is fine but how you drive it is not.

EDIT - as the strips always have consecutive numbers, just store the first and last LED number in the array. Remember the first LED’s number is zero.

Okay, is there a example? so i can see it, or can someone help me with these code?
When i have a working example with, example 1 letter wil be red what in a array is, and a word, than i can work with that to make it with more effect, to see and be trying i learn what it is, i have google'd to find some same code but can't find it. Sorry for my bad english

thanks allot

or can someone help me with these code?

I thought I was helping you?
Or by helping do you mean doing it for you?

is there a example?

No idea, but this sort of thing is a bit rare so I wold not expect one, especially as it is so trivial.

You seem to be having difficulty understanding how things work here, read this http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.msg1118325.html#post_response

Yes, you are helping me, and no you don't have be writing a complete code, i wil do it for by meself.
I mean with a example, and that can be from a other project, i read and learn from that, there is a forum for right. But i understand it. I go read the how things works.
Thanks

I mean with a example, and that can be from a other project

So you are saying that you want some code that someone has done before that you can copy. Well you are free to look for it, but don’t expect me to look for it for you when it is something so simple. I am willing to spend time teaching you how to write this because I want you to learn and not have to look for examples of every simple thing. So it is up to you, engage in the learning process we me and other here, or go and search for something that you would probably not recognise if you saw it.

Best,

Maybe I'm not completely clear about it, I write, as you see above my own code, and with an example, that may be from another project or self-written, how it is with groups, how to deal with that, an example with perhaps some explanation help me on my way. Examples are given in full on the forum, are we here to help each other? Do not ask for ready-made solutions, but explain about groups, how that works. But I do not want any discussion about that, I'll be wrong, my apologies if it happened that way. I will do my homework better. Sorry for posting.

Ok it is your choice, I am offering to teach you for free but you don’t want that. Best of luck in trying to understand the whole programming thing. Maybe one day you will not be so lazy, and will be ready to actually learn something.