How to make Hall Effect Sensor A1302 as a switch to detect metal cable?

Hello everyone,

I am working now in a factory. My factory produces cables. The color of the cables are black.

My project here to count the amount of cables pass by, by detect it like "switch" then display it in 7segment. At first time I used IR sensor, the IR sensor is so sensitive to any color except black, so when the cables come, sometime it detects and many times it does not.

So I decide to change the sensor to Hall Effect Sensor, here is the datasheet http://www.google.co.id/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=a1301&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allegromicro.com%2F~%2FMedia%2FFiles%2FDatasheets%2FA1301-2-Datasheet.ashx&ei=UtLGT8zIGIXJrQfB39XaCQ&usg=AFQjCNErQ9g_TLRv19yUtmASpHY6ZoSpww&cad=rja The reason I use this sensor because I think this sensor detects metal and my cable contains cilinder metal inside.

Is there any idea how to do coding or something else for this sensor so it is able to work as "switch"?

Thank you very much

Hi, How big are the cables? Is there just one cable length in view, or is it a coiled-up cable?

Can you control the background behind the cables? Like make it white? Then detect when NOT detected?

You have to use a wheel that rotate press the cable and count the rotatings of the wheel to determen the length. Hall effect sensor works with magnet fields. Why do you think the hall sensor would work to measure cable length?

Paco

I think more information is needed. As the others have said, we need to know how the cables pass by the sensor. Are they side by side, or is it one length followed by another. If you could take a photo, it would help.

dxw00d: I think more information is needed. As the others have said, we need to know how the cables pass by the sensor. Are they side by side, or is it one length followed by another. If you could take a photo, it would help.

It is side by side. when I use IR sensor it works well in side by side and one length followed by another

backbone: You have to use a wheel that rotate press the cable and count the rotatings of the wheel to determen the length. Hall effect sensor works with magnet fields. Why do you think the hall sensor would work to measure cable length?

Paco

I don't mean to measure the length of the cable, just the amount of cable pass by.

terryking228: Hi, How big are the cables? Is there just one cable length in view, or is it a coiled-up cable?

Can you control the background behind the cables? Like make it white? Then detect when NOT detected?

Yep I guess I can change the background. I can change it to white

Picture of the situation please.
everybody is guessing what you try to achieve.

Paco