How to make line following system for drone instead of wheeled robot?

Hello all,

I would like to build a racing track for drones. The track must enable the drone to stay on path with fastest speed as much possible.

What modifications do I need to make in a drone? What kind of sensors do I need to put inside a drone and on the track to stay on track?

Also the sensors must be weather resistant (rains, snow, heat etc). What sensors I use?

Thanks all in advance

I would suggest you to use a sensor (or array of sensors) that can reliably sense your track under the conditions you want them to track it (snow is a tough one) at the speed you want them to sense it.

wvmarle:
I would suggest you to use a sensor (or array of sensors) that can reliably sense your track under the conditions you want them to track it (snow is a tough one) at the speed you want them to sense it.

Why is snow a tough one? Because it is thick and blocks stuff?

Do I need to take drone racing speed into consideration when choosing sensors? If yes, on what parameters?

Array of sensors? So you mean I have to keep multiple sensors along the track? Which sensors would be more reliable? IR? Ultrasonic? Laser?

What should be the approximate distance between each sensors in the array of sensors?

Thanks in advance

drone_lover:
Why is snow a tough one? Because it is thick and blocks stuff?

Of course. And you likely get to see the snow flakes rather than whatever you're looking for with your sensors. It'll be hard to fly a small drone in snow to begin with.

Do I need to take drone racing speed into consideration when choosing sensors? If yes, on what parameters?

Array of sensors? So you mean I have to keep multiple sensors along the track? Which sensors would be more reliable? IR? Ultrasonic? Laser?

What should be the approximate distance between each sensors in the array of sensors?

That are all questions YOU should answer. This are the plain basics, based on which you're going to select your sensors.

Of course speed is a factor - the parameter is "speed". Sense whatever rail you sense fast enough to react fast enough to keep your drone on track.

Which type sensor - whatever is fast enough and can detect your rail, whatever it is, and small enough to fit on your drone.

Distance between sensors - enough to see the rail between the sensors, know where it is, and be able to react fast enough to not lose the rail.

Now I have a question for you: why do you think your thread did not get any further responses, while many threads on this forum trigger lively discussions?