How to monitor iphone battery level?

Hello everyone!

I need to monitor the battery level of an iphone 5.

How to do that with Arduino?

Thank you!

Cristiano

Unplug Arduino. Put Arduino back in drawer. Turn on Iphone. Initiate Safari. Go to App Store. Search for free battery monitor app. Pick one. Download app. Open app. See battery usage on Iphone screen........

123Splat: Unplug Arduino. Put Arduino back in drawer. Turn on Iphone. Initiate Safari. Go to App Store. Search for free battery monitor app. Pick one. Download app. Open app. See battery usage on Iphone screen........

Dear, totally unnecessary your post.

I really need monitor a battery of an iphone. I need that arduino can do it.

Is it possible? How?

Or if that's not the answer you were looking for, get over the shyness and give us a litttle but better description of what you want. Project specifications typically require more than one or two sentences.

Even doing it with Arduino is going to require either serious modification of the phone or writing an app to run on the phone to send information on battery level to Arduino.

So, you want to use precious coulombs from your battery to power the phone, to send data about the state of charge of the battery to another device?

It's possible if you can write an iPhone app. Otherwise you need direct access to the battery terminals. You'll only every read a regulated 5v from the USB port.

You don’t get to the battery terminals via the USB (charging) port. nor do you only see a regulated 5V on the battery, you would see battery charge voltage. you would, however, still drill holes in the phone to get to the battery terminals, or, write an app, use batt power to run the app and xmit data to the arduino…

Dumb idea. get one of the FREE apps.

crixtiano:
Hello everyone!

I need to monitor the battery level of an iphone 5.

How to do that with Arduino?

Thank you!

Cristiano

Why?

Ok!

I realized that some of you have asked the reason for my doubt.

I have an old iphone 5. And I want to turn it into a “skype phone”.

The iPhone will be fixed on the wall of my house. And it will run Skype full time.

The iphone needs to be connected in the energy, to be self-loading.

I’m afraid that if it gets turned on all day on energy, it can generate some kind of overheating.

So, I thought about creating a circuit with Arduino to do the following:

• If the battery is at 95%, disconnect the charger from the electrical power.

• If the battery is at 10%, connect the charger to the electrical power.

It is possible to do this with Arduino and a relay.

But I need to measure the charge level of the iPhone battery. So … how to do this?

I absolutely do not share your worries. It is not like phone would senselessly pump charge into their batteries. They have a more or less elaborate charging system that takes care of this.
And again, why don’t you let the phone itself report it’s battery status.

But if you insist: Drill your way to the battery and read the voltage at the terminals. You will need to calibrate.

I hate to say it bluntly but this is a bit of a silly idea. Why don't you just sell the old iPhone and buy a Skype phone to use?

You can't just monitor the battery without opening the phone and connecting cables and all sorts of other stuff that'll leave wires hanging all over the show and looking like a bomb strapped to the wall ie. not very functional.

If you really wanna use the iPhone, work out how long it takes to charge and discharge and then use a timer on the charger plug that turns it on and off after a set amount of time.

Not an answer to your question but when in the car my phone connects to it via bluetooth and the car dashboard shows the phone battery level and signal strength so this must be available in some form of bluetooth stack. The problem will be if you can get a BT device that supports the required stack to work on an Arduino.

TheFuzz: I hate to say it bluntly but this is a bit of a silly idea. Why don't you just sell the old iPhone and buy a Skype phone to use?

The monitor glass is broken and the battery is not too good.

I think I cant to sell it for a good price.

Just leave it connected to the charger. The chargwr management in the phone is pretty good.

It is certainly as good or better than anything you’re going to build external to the phone.

crixtiano: The monitor glass is broken and the battery is not too good.

So you plan to leave an iPhone with a known dodgy battery permanently connected to the mains on a wall in your house ?

Do you think that is wise ?

Where do you live, I am in the UK and I would not like to live next door .........

I know this is old but stumbling on this from my present interest in doing the same inspired me to reply instead of starting a new thread! No your cell doesnt manage its battery as best it should, it maintains full charge and doesnt cycle the battery state to extend its life, why would the phone maker want the battery to last longer than its outdated model? The ideal cycle would be from 20% to 80% or so I have read! I have bought outdated iphones to use as security cameras, they work great. The battery life is ok. I still would prefer they cycle instead of stay at full charge and the fact they are using power from a solar battery backup makes it even more the reason I’d like to set it up to cycle and make a little use of there own internal battery. I’m curious if anyone is familiar with what may would work in this situation to read the battery data. Any positive thoughts are welcomed.