How to: Operate programmed arduino chip without full board.

Multiple searches have turned up nothing, can someone help?

I want to program my arduino the traditional way on my R3 board,
then remove it and add it to a bare bones setup to read two
switches and operate one mini servo.

Programming is simple but I cannot find a reliable source for what
components I need to get the chip to operate alone. It is meant
to be embedded into a "Love box" that will be opened using a
vintage telephone dial.

Any help would be awesome, Thank you in advance!

5 volt supply, pullup resistor on reset, 16MHZ crystal and caps or 16 MHZ ceramic resonator

Hi

There's a page on the playground that explains it, but the image is missing Arduino Playground - Standalone and there are quite a few elsewhere online (like this one how to make a stand alone arduino - YouTube from youtube that uses a resonator in place of the crystal).

A reference sheet showing all the pin locations as they appear on the IC relating to the Arduino IDE are outlined here, http://www.akafugu.jp/images/microcontroller_reference_sheet.pdf

Cheers ! Geoff

Or look up Arduino on a breadboard. Will show you how to hook up crystal/resonator and a couple bypass caps.

Osgeld:
5 volt supply, pullup resistor on reset, 16MHZ crystal and caps or 16 MHZ ceramic resonator

Actually you probably don't even need the pullup resistor on the reset. If you are using the analog inputs connect the AVCC pin to VCC through a 100uh choke and bypass it to ground with a 100nf cap. Also bypass the AREF pin to ground with a 100nf cap.

Thank you so much! It never fails to amaze me how helpful the community is here!!!!
My future wife is going to be ecstatic when she cranks the old analogue dial and the
box opens to reveal two small digital picture frames and a small slot (where her ring
should be :slight_smile: ) While I am putting the good knee to the ground!

GeorgeWS:
Thank you so much! It never fails to amaze me how helpful the community is here!!!!
My future wife is going to be ecstatic when she cranks the old analogue dial and the
box opens to reveal two small digital picture frames and a small slot (where her ring
should be :slight_smile: ) While I am putting the good knee to the ground!

Wow well done. And what a creative and clever way to get the future Minister-for-Finance-and-Wars to back an expansion of your Arduino budget from the very start! 8)

Congrats!
Geoff