How to Power 6 Nema-17 Stepper Motors

Hi everyone, I'm starting a project using an Arduino Uno, Nema-17 stepper motors, and A4988 drivers. This is my first time working on a hardware project like this and was wondering as to what power supply I should be using to power 6 Nema-17 stepper motors.

I'm building a Rubik's cube solver that uses 6 stepper motors, 6 drivers, and an arduino. I've read multiple forums and tutorials on how to get one motor working, but since I'm not too familiar in this field I'm not sure how to power 6. Especially since my project doesn't require all the motors moving at once. Only one stepper motor will move at a time to solve the cube. I'm currently using a basic 12V 2A wall adapter to power one stepper motor. Should I be using a different power supply to power 6 motors in parallel?

Motors: Stepper motor - NEMA-17 size - 200 steps/rev, 12V 350mA : ID 324 : $14.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
Driveres: Pololu - A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier

Thanks in advance!

Stepper motors use the same current when stationary as when moving. Your motors need 350mA each (maybe a bit more for when both coils are energized) and 6 x 0.35 = 2.1 amps. If it was my project I think I would get a 4 amp power supply.

A higher voltage would also be a good idea - subject to the upper limit for the A4988. I use a 19v laptop power supply with A4988s and 3 similar motors.

Make sure to set the current limit on the A4988s to protect the motors.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

also look up the AccelStepper library

Thanks for your fast response! I found these two power supplies on Amazon:

12V 5A: Amazon.com: Chanzon UL Listed 12V 5A 60W AC DC Power Supply Adapter 2.1x5.5 2.5x5.5 Plug (Input 110V-220V, Output 12 Volt 5 Amp 60 Watt) Converter LED Driver Lighting Transformer for 12 V 5 A LED Strip CCTV: Gateway

24V 5A: Amazon.com: ALITOVE AC 100-240V to DC 24V 5A Power Supply Adapter Converter with 5.5 x 2.1mm 2.5mm DC Output Jack for 5050 3528 LED Strip Module Light: Gateway

You think the 24V 5A power supply will best suited for my project setup?

If it was my decision I would choose the 24v power supply. However I have no means to know all the things that you need to consider. For example you might be thinking of using the power supply for something else as well.

Did you read my Tutorial?

...R