How to Power an Arduino Nano

I got a couple of these in the link below (brand gikfun):

http://bit.ly/2GQUX20

I know I can power it via the usb, but can I power it via just 5v using a wire instead of the usb?

Any guys help me know more instructions about this item i bought?

Will appreciate your kind help.

It has an onboard voltage regulator, it's safe up to 20V, but I wouldn't exceed 12v. Use negative and hook it to GND using a male header pin or solder, not an aligator clip which is too large and shorts adjacent pins. Do the same with the + and hook it to Vin.

A quick aside, avoid using the 5v pin to power things. It can't carry much current. I learned hard way.

jack5196:
I got a couple of these in the link below (brand gikfun):

Actually, the proper link with the garbage removed is:
www.gikfun.com/belong-to-you-modules-c-68/3pc-nano-v30-atmega328-controller-board-ch340g-usb-driver-p-393.html

I hope they came with free postage, otherwise eBay is cheaper but a lot slower, direct from the sweat shop.

jack5196:
I know I can power it via the USB, but can I power it via just 5v using a wire instead of the USB?

Most certainly, as long as you get the polarity correct, positive to "5V" and negative to "GND". Do not use the "VIN" terminal for 5 V, and preferably do not attempt to power it with any other power supply voltage, because the regulator on the board cannot provide more than sufficient for the chip itself, as mattlogue has discovered. :grinning:

jack5196:
Any guys help me know more instructions about this item I bought?

Lots! What do you need to know!

I am Newbee.., thanks bro

Thank you, mattlogue and Paul__B, get more info now

mattlogue:
A quick aside, avoid using the 5v pin to power things. It can't carry much current. I learned hard way.

Even if you are powering it up with Power Jack, it still doesn't provide much current. Current ratings of Arduino Nano is around 500mA.

You can power it up with 5V & GND Pins and it works really fine. Just make sure to not power up other sensors from Arduino. Provide supply directly to your other sensors & modules.