how to power Arduino for stepper motor project

Hi,

probably a basic question but I'm new to Arduino.

I would like to control a NEMA 34 stepper (to use as power feed on a milling machine) with a suitable driver and 36vdc power supply with an Arduino. I want to house the driver, power supply and Arduino in an enclosure as a permanent installation with one lead connected to 240vac mains, so I'm wondering the best method to supply power to the Arduino.

my thoughts were to use a dc-dc converter to drop the 36dc(fo the stepper drive/motor) supply down to 5v to power the board with something like this

Or

Use a AC-DC converter this to power the Arduino directly

Would either of these work/is there a better way?

Many Thanks!

Ohannam:
Hi,

probably a basic question but I'm new to Arduino.

I would like to control a NEMA 34 stepper (to use as power feed on a milling machine) with a suitable driver and 36vdc power supply with an Arduino. I want to house the driver, power supply and Arduino in an enclosure as a permanent installation with one lead connected to 240vac mains, so I'm wondering the best method to supply power to the Arduino.

my thoughts were to use a dc-dc converter to drop the 36dc(fo the stepper drive/motor) supply down to 5v to power the board with something like this

Or

Use a AC-DC converter this to power the Arduino directly

Would either of these work/is there a better way?

Many Thanks!

I would make/buy a better Arduino power supply than what you suggest. A 1/4 volt peak-to-peak ripple/noise on the output, even with extra filtering will not do well with an Arduino.

Also using the motor psu as a source of Arduino power means you cannot test the Arduino separately from the rest of your set up.

Paul