How to program a GPS module?

I bought a GPS module GY-NEO6MV2 and connected to the PC using arduino just as USB-serial converter (run an empty sketch with GPS connected to pin 01 and 1).
I can receive NMEA strings without troubles (and with some meaningful numbers, provided that the GPS is placed outside home!) but when I tried to program the module (e.g. to change baud rate or acquisition frequency...) using MiniGPS 1.7.1, I could just see the status tab and not the setup one in the MiniGPS window. Nothing on the MiniGPS user manual... although from the two screenshots in the manual only the second one shows the setup tab, while the first one not, exactly as i see!
Thanks a lot.

P.S. Sorry if this is only partially on topic with Arduino, but this seemed to me the best place where to ask for! Thanks for understing (if it helps... plan is to use the GPS module together with Arduino and a MAX7456 to realise OSD for my car FPV system :wink: ).

I'm not familiar with MiniGPS, but you might be interested in u-center, a comprehensive PC utility for u-blox devices, including the NEO-6M.

And when you're ready, NeoGPS is a comprehensive Arduino library I wrote for NMEA GPS devices. It's much faster and smaller than other libraries, especially when configured to parse only the information you use.

Cheers,
/dev

(run an empty sketch with GPS connected to pin 01 and 1).

Assuming you mean pins 0 and 1, this will not be a reliable connection. It is not a good idea to have two devices fighting for control of one pin.

Just use a usb-TTL serial adapter to connect the GPS to the PC, making sure that you do not apply 5V to 3.3V pins. Here are a couple of possibilities:

on Pololu - CP2104 USB-to-Serial Adapter Carrier you can read This board uses 3.45 V signal levels by default, but the signal pins can tolerate higher voltages, allowing the adapter to be used with 5 V systems that see 3.45 V as a logic high.

Are theese equivalent ?