How to projekt an image with arduino?

I would like to be able to project an image on a surface about 20-30 cm away, which would be around 20x30 cm big. How could I do this with an arduino?

Some general info:

1. for the project it would be bad to use a motor (or anything that sounds) for the projector.

2. It will not have to be able to change the image projected or so, meaning the image will stay the same all the time. (although it would be a nice touch if it could).

3. It should be as small as possible (around 10x5 cm or smaller)

What kind of image? Colour? Laser line art?

I'm thinking a tiny little slide projector, like with actual optics and a photographic slide. No Arduino required, although it might be useful if you needed to control the brightness of the lamp.

There are actual digital projectors which are this small. I think there was even a phone produced in the last 2 years which had such a projector built in.

MorganS:
What kind of image? Colour? Laser line art?

I'm thinking a tiny little slide projector, like with actual optics and a photographic slide. No Arduino required, although it might be useful if you needed to control the brightness of the lamp.

There are actual digital projectors which are this small. I think there was even a phone produced in the last 2 years which had such a projector built in.

Any image that can display text and lines I am happy to use. Where can I buy one of those projectors? (what name shall I google under?)

Ive been searching but all I can find are "commercial" mini beamers for smartphones. They are a bit too expensive and also, not what I am looking for.

you mean mini projector ? like this
If you want something not expensive you can build one around 50$ that's a full HD projector, if you want only one image it's very simple you don't even need arduino look here
*lens
*light behind your pic
*fresnel lens

Thanks. But I'm still not sure this is what I am looking for. What I am trying to build is a Keyboard which is projected on my desk. Like http://www.amazon.com/CTX-796246p-Projection-Virtual-Keyboard/dp/B008D6IUG4 What do you think? Is this somehow possible? (just talking about the projection, the rest is easy :slight_smile:

it's more easy :slight_smile:
listen go to a printing company to make a small printed glass like this

they can make it very small for you, then put a leaser behind it and a lens in front, that's it.
that keyboard you post before not use a projector, it's using the same technique

there is no LCD display inside it's all about a glass, you can use only leaser with printed glass, but if you want it very clear use fresnal lens to make your leaser beem not focused in the middle, the focus lens to make the pic bigger, if you don't want use it then you must put the device away from you 1-2M to make the keyboard bigger enough

Thanks. It seems rather expensive and complicated though… But I think its the right approach.