how to 'prune' a library to keep the stuff you want

hello,

my current project is fairly simple, I'm trying to make a little IR reciever that turns on my Mediacentre PC from my TV remote, which I'd like to load onto an ATtiny85, however even though my project is only 33 lines the program is 8.6kb when compiled.

So I was trying to remove all the 'IR send' code from the library to reduce the programs size but I couldnt get it to work.

does anyone have any advice for me? will removing the unused functions from the library actually reduce the compiled program size?

any documentation on manipulating library code would be appreciated, i'm still quite new to all this.

this is the library I'm using: https://github.com/shirriff/Arduino-IRremote

Thanks, Joel.

So I was trying to remove all the 'IR send' code from the library

But, I'm not going to show you what I did.

but I couldnt get it to work.

And, I'm not going to explain what this means.

does anyone have any advice for me?

Yes. Though, by, now it should be rather obvious.

will removing the unused functions from the library actually reduce the compiled program size?

Yes.

If will be using the sketch with a particular IR transmitter, say Sony, you can remove the sendNec, sendPanasonic, send, decodeNec, decodePnasonic and decode functions.

RbSCR:

will removing the unused functions from the library actually reduce the compiled program size?

Yes.

Sorry to jump in here, but I thought that the compiler will only add the functions that are used from the library or am I wrong about this?

Sorry to jump in here, but I thought that the compiler will only add the functions that are used from the library or am I wrong about this?

The compiler compiles everything. The linker only includes in the resulting hex file the functions that are actually needed. Of course, this illustrates why OP's post is so lacking.