How to put PROGMEM Strings in another tab

So I'm working on a program that uses strings in Program memory.

char s_1[] PROGMEM ="though";

This is how I'd normally do it, and I'd call it with a pointer with

PROGMEM const char lyrics[] = {
  s_1, };

and then into a char Buffer[10] it goes!

However I have now reached s_443 (The end of the song for my program) and that takes up a lot of space vertically in my program. So I want to move all of my PROGMEM strings (not the pointers) into another tab. But when I tried defining every one of them (example: ) #define char s_1[] PROGMEM = "This ";, put them in a new tab called lyrics.h and I tried verifying my code it threw this error. ISO C++ forbids declaration of 's_188' with no type Note: When I tested to see if this worked I went with the first 188 strings and I did #include "lyrics.h"

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

What's with the #define up front when moving the executable declaration to another file?

What you have done is associated the string "s_1[] PROGMEM = "This ";" with the name char. When the preprocessor runs, it substitutes that string wherever char appeared in the code.

As you can imagine, this produced some weird looking code for the compiler to deal with.

PaulS: What's with the #define up front when moving the executable declaration to another file?

What you have done is associated the string "s_1[] PROGMEM = "This ";" with the name char. When the preprocessor runs, it substitutes that string wherever char appeared in the code.

As you can imagine, this produced some weird looking code for the compiler to deal with.

Ahhh I see. So if the precompiler is associating the string with char, how can I associate it with s_1 instead? As for the #define it may have been a silly mistake but I thought I had to do it in order for the code to be in a new tab and work. So as for a solution, would it work if I dropped the #define on all of them and kept them in a new tab that I included at the beginning of my code?

So as for a solution, would it work if I dropped the #define on all of them and kept them in a new tab that I included at the beginning of my code?

It should. Only you can really tell us, when you try it.