How to read TO-92 data sheet - DS18B20

Hello,

apparently I don't know how to read a DS18B20 data sheet - it confuses me. Please regard the image. That's me positioning the DS18B20 according to the data-sheet, with the round side emulating the position in the data sheet. According to which, when you're holding the round side so it's facing you, the ground should be on the left - 1 - and the vcc on the right, 3.

But if I do a search for it, most images have it the other way around.

Me holding the ds1820 like I'm thinking it's supposed to, according to the data sheet

I'm thinking I did damage to the unit, so I can't check it myself, alas.

Thanks.

TO-92 pinout is indeed pin 1 left, facing the flat bit.

If a top view image is given in a data sheet, do make sure it's not actually a bottom view (as it is in the image you posted - it's clearly marked BOTTOM VIEW in the data sheet).

But!

• instead of an unclickable link to an image (which probably will die soon making your post lose relevance), it's much better to attach the image to this post.
  • instead of posting an image of a screen on which a data sheet is displayed (it's not even a screen shot!) post a link to the actual data sheet.

wvmarle:
TO-92 pinout is indeed pin 1 left, facing the flat bit.

If a top view image is given in a data sheet, do make sure it's not actually a bottom view (as it is in the image you posted - it's clearly marked BOTTOM VIEW in the data sheet).

Ah - I get it now! Jeez. Thanks.

wvmarle:

• instead of an unclickable link to an image (which probably will die soon making your post lose relevance), it's much better to attach the image to this post.
  • instead of posting an image of a screen on which a data sheet is displayed (it's not even a screen shot!) post a link to the actual data sheet.

I did in fact attach the image - you can check the page html-source, it's in there with the image-tag - but it doesn't show, so I resorted to the link - sorry.

The point of posting the image of the screen was entirely to show my actual hand, holding the device the way I mistakenly thought was right - would've been troublesome to just grab a screenshot and draw my hand in there :slight_smile:

This is a forum - use bbcode, not html. Links can make clickable just the same (use the icons in the top of the message - go to the full editor by clicking preview; and anyway when starting a thread you get that). Images can readily be attached to a message, again it's in the full editor.
More on posting images here.

wvmarle:
This is a forum - use bbcode, not html. Links can make clickable just the same (use the icons in the top of the message - go to the full editor by clicking preview; and anyway when starting a thread you get that). Images can readily be attached to a message, again it’s in the full editor.
More on posting images here.

Ok. Thanks - 'preciate it.

Hi,
Hurray for those who actually Read The Data Sheet!

I've had a lot of fun with these little chips. See:

http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Brick-Temperature-DS18B20

They seem to be incredibly reliable (As long as you don't get a near lighting strike with them on a long wire)... I have sold many thousands of these in the "waterproof" packaging and repeat customers have had almost zero failures.

For anything which is basically a single chip, these are the 555's of the 2000's..