how to select a stepper motor?

Hey guys

I need a stepper motor, but it has to be a quiet one. It will be used in an acoustic musical environment.

When it’s running, it will run only clockwise, between 25 and 150 RPM, continuously until the stop-button is pushed.

I will use a TMC2209 driver, because as far as I can read, it’s the most silent driver.

A nema 17 sized motor is big enoug, but HOW do I tell from the specs, if the motor will be silent enough? The torqee isn’t important, the project requires very little.

Can anyone suggest a good stepper, or tell what to look for??

Thanks in advance.

A stepper or any motor with proper bearings should not make noise. A motor making noise is because of improper mounting or mounting material. Usually not thick enough or stiff enough or the design allow the material to move.

What is your mounting design?

Paul

tlin: but HOW do I tell from the specs, if the motor will be silent enough?

I think most of the noise is caused by the way the driver modulates the current and I have read that the TMC drivers are very quiet.

The other source of noise will be the effect of individual steps on the mechanism that is being driven by the motor. Using microstepping and minimising backlash should help with that.

I am not aware that the designers of stepper motors are concerned about the noise they make.

Stepper motors are normally employed because of the very precise movements that they facilitate - for example in a 3D printer. If that precision is not needed then a DC motor with some sensor that can be used to measure and control the speed might provide a quieter solution.

...R

I plan to mount it on a wooden board with a vibration damper like this one.

It will run a shaft pulley for a belt drive, to drive resonator fans on a vibraphone. And I need the fans to stop at a specific point, when i stop the motor.

tlin: I plan to mount it on a wooden board with a vibration damper like this one.

If it has to be wood I suggest heavy plywood. I reckon steel or aluminium (of suitable thickness) would be better.

I would be concerned that the flexibility in that damper would affect the tension in a drive belt.

If the motor is turning at 150 RPM it is likely that it will need to decelerate to a stop if it is not to miss steps.

...R Stepper Motor Basics Simple Stepper Code

also look up the AccelStepper library

Paul_KD7HB: A stepper or any motor with proper bearings should not make noise. A motor making noise is because of improper mounting or mounting material. Usually not thick enough or stiff enough or the design allow the material to move.

What is your mounting design?

Paul

Steppers can make a lot of noise that's nothing to do with the bearings. Cogging causes vibration and noise, even with high levels of microstepping, unless the poles are carefully shaped to minimize cogging (which will mean less efficient operation, nothing comes for free).

Using full steps and any stepper will be very loud indeed.

Yes, mounting with vibration damping is a good way to reduce motor noise, but start from a good place - microstepping and a low-cogging motor. Adding a damped coupling to the shaft can also help.