How to select multiple sketches and move to a folder

I created a new folder and zipped up a certain set of sketches. I tried to upload that zip file into my special folder but it disappeared.

Now I have all my special sketches mingled with all the others.

How do I select multiple sketches in the web editor and move them to a newly created folder?

Hi @callmebob,
you can find a tutorial here

Thanks smellai! It's clunky for many files, but it's better than nothing.

I wonder why that info is located under Arduino_Genuino and not in a general help file somewhere? I couldn't find anything in the tips pdf or elsewhere. I looked hard for that info and found nothing... keywords like 'move', 'folders' etc. apparently need to be added.

And my newly created folder had disappeared again. So I had to recreate it again just before moving my files, but the slippery devil stayed long enough to get my files into it :slight_smile:

Yes make sure you have a sketch ready to drop in and lock the folders tombstone as create doesn’t like empty folders and always do that BEFORE you hit any form of page refresh or wooosh its gone out of the door.

Best method to import zipped sketches it to start and categorise your sketches into specific folders on your computer first.

In my case I went alphabetic.

Made folders on my computer for sketches 0-9, A Sketches, B Sketches and so on. (use your own prefered method)
Moved the sketches into the correct folders and while I was doing that I also removed anything that CREATE would not like or maybe it would ignore such as DOC, PDF files etc.

That will leave you with zipped archives that are nice and lean and will import quicker too.

Once imported I made the required folder in create and moved them over in small batches as sometimes it will take a little longer for large batches (it gets there but may look like it locked up until it does finish)

Once your sketchbook in create is sorted out from one import I then did the same for the next zip.
Yes it takes time but you do end up with everything organised and easy to find.

a to z.jpg

It is also worth doing the same procedure with any custom libraries too and it makes a great opportunity to clean up libs you dont and wont use.
The create lib manager has access to an awful lot that are in many cases more current than ones you may be importing. It also allows you to select versions unlike the desktop IDE.

Libs take up quite a bit of space so making use of creates lib manager can save you not only time but space too. And if you are importing libs clean out the crud from the lib folder to leave you with just the files you need.

Good suggestions Ballscrewbob – thanks.

Is there a way to upload a zip file into a particular folder rather than uploading to the root directory and then have to move all the files?

I think there is but I haven't played with that aspect yet to any degree.

I once managed to get a subfolder in by accident but cannot seem to reproduce it.

Just doing a simple write up for this thread to use as a pdf answer so its on my on my to-do list.
Believe it or not I set up some test folders to drop in today but haven't got round to it yet.

Have a test bed here with 14 different Arduino related devices on that needed modification .

Actually You can.

1. Make a folder I called mine "test drop outer"
    2. insert at least one sketch in it.
  2. make another folder inside "test drop outer" I called mine "test drop inner"
  3. drop sketches in there.
  4. Zip up the complete folder structure.
  5. Import it.

You will be left with the inner folder containing the sketches and the outer folder will be stripped away leaving the one sketch in the root of the sketchbook itself.

EDIT.. EMPTY outer folder also works and just leaves you with your intended folder structure.

SECOND EDIT...I want to thank you as it was your suggestion that spurred me on to double check the import side. Below is a newer method...

Importing sketches and libraries.

The better way for SKETCHES

Sketches can be really easy to import but you may end up with no structure to them and spend a long time sorting them out.
This method takes a little time but can be well worth the effort.

NOTE there was a size limit to any import of 10mb. This has changed and I am unsure of the new limit

Sort them out BEFORE you import them.

This will allow you to remove the ones you know don’t or won’t work and also allow you to have an archive of trimmed down sketches in case anything goes wrong with your computer.
Start by making a set of folders on your computer. An easy method is alphabetical.
EG. A folder for numerical called “0 to 9 Sketches” and then “A Sketches”, “B Sketches”, “C Sketches” etc.

You can of course use a different method but try to keep it so you know what will be where.
If you are using the alphabetical method move all your “A” related sketches to that folder.
Now sort through them one by one and get rid of any unwanted items especially PDF, DOC, DOCX etc. as that will speed up the import as CREATE will have to do that work for you and may even complain about it.

Continue to do that until they are all organised as you would like them.
When you are done place all those folders inside an empty one let’s say called “IMPORT” The name does not really matter as it will be discarded during the import.
Zip that folder and its contents
Now for the actual import.

This is better done with not too many other sketches littering your sketchbook on create so maybe do a small tidy up in CREATE EDITOR before you start.
Import your zip and your folders should now be separated from the initial one.

NOTE that there was a depth limit to folders currently of 3 max! If you exceed that you could see lots of extra folders appearing and a lot of tidy up to do.

You should then copy the original zips somewhere safe. It is up to you but you could add them into a single ZIP and put it on a flash drive or backup drive.

Moving on to LIBRARIES.

In my case I followed a similar system to above. But there are a few extra things to be aware of.
First is that libraries take up a lot more room than sketches.
Second is that they are more likely to have unwanted files inside especially pictures, documents or even videos. Those will most often be discarded by CREATE and may again even throw up an error.
If you use windows but not apple then get rid of any mac OS items in the library and vice versa.

So like the Sketch routine above go through them and remove any files that are not required by create. That will help a lot in the speed of import and go a long way to making your libraries leaner.

NOTE there was size limit to any import of 10mb.

There may be occasion you have to even break down a library zip into smaller parts eg. “M Libs 01” , “M libs 02”

Another warning is that if there are any “PDE” examples they will not be imported ! ONLY “INO” files will make it into CREATE so if there are any older sketches you would want to do 1 of 2 things with them.

1. Open them in the desktop ide (1.6.5 or newer) and re save them with the “INO” extension.
  2. Delete them.

Luckily we don’t have to make folders for libraries so just importing them should be a simple and painless process once they are imported.
Should create throw an error with any sketch or library then take note of that file name and examine it on your computer again to make sure it does not have any extra unwanted files.

Updated 2020

Whew! Thanks for all the effort you put in! It will certainly help.

The size limit of the import is 100MB, of course if you have already used some of that space you will need to subtract it and you will get your limit.

A quick tip: make the folder structure you want on your PC, zip the whole folder and import it, the original folder structure will be mantained, this will save a lot of importing in a specific folder hassle.

Let me know if this helps and what are use cases that will be helpful and we might have overlooked. We will add in the HELP section of the online editor the list of tutorials.

Thanks for all your feedback!