How to Serial print or save values from a pointer function

I know a little about pointers but not even enough to be dangerous. I was wondering if someone could give me a little bit of coaching. I have a radio and the library maintains a routing table. I would like to recover the values from the table for documentation and reporting purposes. Below is the library function. How do I get the values out of this. Every way I have tried to print or save gives a compilation error. Thank you so much for your help and sorry for not understanding what should be a simple concept of pointers.

[/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
RHRouter::RoutingTableEntry* RHRouter::getRouteTo(uint8_t dest)
{
    uint8_t i;
    for (i = 0; i < RH_ROUTING_TABLE_SIZE; i++)
	if (_routes[i].dest == dest && _routes[i].state != Invalid)
	    return &_routes[i];
    return NULL;
}
code]

What error do you get?

Post the code that produces that error.

well depending on what I put in I get different errors... from unable to convert data types to improper use of the dereferencing operator. The truth is that I am really terrible at using pointers, like really really bad at it. I simply don't understand how to get the information out that the above function returns so that I can make use of it. Here is one example of what I tried and the error that I received. I keep reading how to use pointers and dereferencing but I definitely don't understand what I am supposed to be trying to do to use that function. The only thing I do know is that I need to get access to the above functions output. I don't know if that makes any sense or not.

well depending on what I put in I get different errors... from unable to convert data types to improper use of the dereferencing operator.  The truth is that I am really terrible at using pointers, like really really bad at it.  I simply don't understand how to get the information out that the above function returns so that I can make use of it.  Here is one example of what I tried and the error that I received.  I keep reading how to use pointers and dereferencing but I definitely don't understand what I am supposed to be trying to do to use that function.  The only thing I do know is that I need to get access to the above functions output.  I don't know if that makes any sense or not.

and the response is
cannot convert 'RHRouter::RoutingTableEntry' to 'uint32_t {aka long unsigned int}' in initialization

Looks like you fat fingered your copy & paste. The "code" is just a repeat of the text above it.

The problem is in the code you didn't post. Try to cut your big program down to the smallest example which will compile and show the error.

Also tell us where to find this library.