How to set up serial device in OSX

Hi. I'm using OSX 10.6. I installed the Arduino IDE and plugged in my Uno. I saw a popup to 'set up a new serial device', but I stupidly clicked 'Cancel'.

"If you're using the Arduino Uno or Arduino Mega 2560, a dialog box will appear telling you that a new network interface has been detected. Click "Network Preferences...", and when it opens, simply click "Apply". The Uno or Mega 2560 will show up as "Not Configured", but it's working properly. Quit System Preferences. " http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/MacOSX#toc4

Now, I can't find out where I need to go in OSX to do whatever needs to be done. The expected /dev/tty.usbmodem device doesn't exist, and I don't know how to add it.

Is there something I can do to start over? I've tried unplugging & replugging the Arduino several times, I've tried rebooting several times. Nothing seems to work. Help?!

thanks, alex

I'm not sure what changed, but after a few more attempts at unplugging & plugging in the Arduino I was able to get the "configure a new network device" dialog to appear. Maybe some timeout passed, so my previous "cancel" choice was no longer remembered? I'm not sure. But I'm now able to use the Arduino as desired.

Sometimes, even pressing cancel on the pop-up will result in a functional Arduino.

Once the differences can be, using a different USB port (or using a port on a Hub) will cause OSX to add the Arduino again.

Hi, had this problem twice, once with new Duemilanove on the Imac, but it worked on a Windows XP laptop I have so that is OK but now I am trying a little Nano 3.0 on my Imac and get as far as the serial port recognition and the only choices are Bluetooth PDA sync or Modem no other sign that it sees the Nano, then no upload of course. Tried holding the reset on the Nano board and plugging in again but no luck. I have the green light on the Nano OK with a flashing red but not the uploaded "blink" . Also tried plugging board directly and through powered hub, same message. On uploading it is the "avrdude:stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" message but I think it is just because it is not seen at the serial port. HELP please, totally new to Arduino. JD Arduino is latest software and Imac is new, latest OSX

i, had this problem twice, once with new Duemilanove

Well, no. You have a different issue. The UNO is auto detected as a (virtual) modem. The Duemilanove has a FTDI chip on it, which requires you to install the FTDI drivers.

James, thx for quick answer but although I have ordered a UNO as well, this one is the Nano that is giving me problems, I have the FTDI drivers installed on both the Imac and the Windows XP laptop but the Duemilenove was only recognized on the windows machine (XP). Did you mean to say that the Nano will be seen the same as a UNO, and that one of the Bluetooth modems is the port is is seeing??

@jrd210, you just mentioned 3 different Arduinos, none of work the same way.

What are you working with?

James, working with Nano and DMLNVE at present, neither is seen by the Imac but I did get the DMLNVE seen and works Ok on the Windows XP laptop, the third one i.e, UNO is just on order as I wanted to see if that would be any easier with the Imac! JD

What version of OS X? Which FTDI drivers have you installed?

As far as I know latest versions of each, brand new Imac Mac OSX 10.6.7 and FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_3 and FTDIUSBSerialDriver_10_4_10_5_10_6 Correction to previous reply the DMLNVE actually does work on the Imac but that is the only one that sees it and uploads correctly, Windows7 does not see the Nano at all nor the DMLNVE and Windows XP does not seem to want to either though it shows a com port 3 and 6 as available and trying each of those does not load successfully. The nuisance is that the laptop with Xp is in the workshop but the Imac is some distance away in my house so I have to lug the unit back over there to program it at present!

mrplaid: the board will still work fine even if you say “cancel” to that dialog box. It’s likely to just prompt you every time you plug it in. If no dialog box appears and no serial device (usbmodem) appears when the board is connected, something else is going wrong. Perhaps you’re going through a hub and that’s causing problems, or the USB cable is bad, etc.

Thx for advice so far, have got the Nano working on Windows 7 after very carefully going through the FTDI drivers again. However there do seem to be problems with a DMLNVE on WIndows 7 or XP so I will go through drivers again as I think that is where the problem lies. It talks to the Imac OK. Too many computers around here!