how to share pins?

Hi, just to remind, im new to arduino so alot is a learning curve.

At the moment i have my arduino and LCD working great but my intentions is to also have an SD card break out connected but looking at the wiring the LCD and SD card use the same pins, and it says the SD needs to use these particular pins? (is this so and if so, is this the same case with the LCD?).

In this case, what are my options to have both?

Thanks
Andy

There is one hardware highspeed serial port for SPI/I2C/etc on an UNO. But there are examples for doing SPI/I2C/etc using other pins driven by software (sketch) not only on the Arduino site but on the ATMEL site as Application Notes. Keys words: soft SPI.

It's hard to imagine the LCD needing full blast SPI. That's the one I'd go 'soft' on.

it says the SD needs to use these particular pins?

Yes, it does, because the SD reader is an SPI device. It needs pins 11, 12, and 13, and a slave select pin (any pin).

is this the same case with the LCD?

No. The LCD can use any pins. Unless it is an SPI device, too. A link would be useful.

Hi, thanks both. Your right (which im sure you new :slight_smile: ) ive swapped the lcd pins to two others and it works fine. (should of done this in the first place)

thanks
Andy