How to start in electronics?

Hi all,

I've bought an Arduino Uno. I'm very comfortable with the programming side but in electronics I'm totally without a clue on what I'm doing. For example, I don't understand even how to calculate the values of the resistor to use in the LED's...

My question here is how to start in electronics from the beginning? What books should I read? Should I take a course in electronics?

Please give me a clue.

Best Regards,

clue 1 : find something to read - http://openbookproject.net/electricCircuits/ - :slight_smile:

If there is a local community/technical college in your area, find out if it has a basic electronics course and, if so, register.

Pete

well, i also started my interest in electronics a few years ago, and i had all the questions you have. I basically started from trial and error (opening all electronic appliances and staring at them :D. ) Anyway i used this book:

This book basically helps you make a Line Follower Robot, but in the process teaches all the basics of electronics. It evens has a page or two on calculating resistor values. I highly recommend you get this! it covers Transistors,Resistors, Comparators,Voltage Dividers,Ohms law etc. it also tells you about all the different equipment needed.

Secondly i want to tell you how important it is to EXPERIMENT! don't be afraid to fry up a few IC's, you will be shocked on how much one learns in doing that.

Another good book is: Maker Shed: Arduino | Raspberry Pi | 3D Printers | Microcontroller Kit

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the replies,

I've order this book: Make: Electronics: Learning by Discovery (Paperback) Free delivery worldwide on all books from Book Depository

I think it will help me starting in electronics.

How many time do you think I will be able to control a 24v motor with a 9000mAh battery? I will need to study transistors, relays... some more subjects are important to achieve that?

Best Regards,

adilmalik:
well, i also started my interest in electronics a few years ago, and i had all the questions you have. I basically started from trial and error (opening all electronic appliances and staring at them :D. ) Anyway i used this book:

Robot Building for Beginners Book - Robot Room

This book basically helps you make a Line Follower Robot, but in the process teaches all the basics of electronics. It evens has a page or two on calculating resistor values. I highly recommend you get this! it covers Transistors,Resistors, Comparators,Voltage Dividers,Ohms law etc. it also tells you about all the different equipment needed.

Secondly i want to tell you how important it is to EXPERIMENT! don't be afraid to fry up a few IC's, you will be shocked on how much one learns in doing that.

Another good book is: Maker Shed: Official store of Make: and Maker Faire since 2005

Hope that helps!

you will have to tell me more than that, how much current does your motor use? its wattage? You can use a ammeter to measure that.

then just use this:

http://www.thecarpcstore.com/cms/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=13:battery-discharge-time&Itemid=64&tmpl=component&print=1

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The motor that I need to control is just like this one, but with 24v, electric_bicycle_motor

Any special subjects that I need to focus more?

Best Regards,

adilmalik:
you will have to tell me more than that, how much current does your motor use? its wattage? You can use a ammeter to measure that.

then just use this:

http://www.thecarpcstore.com/cms/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=13:battery-discharge-time&Itemid=64&tmpl=component&print=1

According to my calculation if your setup runs 100% efficiency (no heat dissipation) you will get about Half and hour or so.

Well no start with the basics, you will understand other concepts easily then. but again experiment!, safely.

You may also want to consider getting some hobby magazine subscriptions.

Examples; Elektor, Everyday Practical Electronics, Silicon Chip, Nuts & Volts, Circuit Cellar and/or Make.

Well, how I got started was with one of those "300-in-one" project kits! One of the better ones with a breadboarding area built-in. Add to that a nice collection of idiot-friendly project books from Radio Shack (or Tandy, as it was over here), and I was in business!

I topped up my collection of parts with de-soldered or otherwise scavenged from old electrical goods, and whatever I could pilfer from college tech department supplies :wink: Naughty, but it DID end up helping me learn which I suppose was the whole point in them being there!

Fast-forward about ten years and although my theory knowledge still needs building up and improving, I did manage to somehow luck into a job in the industry (which I am not allowed to discuss in detail so use your imagination), and even though I'm in no way "qualified", I do quite well there. So yeah... probably not everyone's favourite approach to learning but it's working ok for me so far!

Wikipedia is your friend, ohms law, leds, current source, transistors, mosfets, resistors, capacitors all are good things to look up
I got alot of knowledge from 2 electronics text books I found about 400pgs apiece, whenever I was bored id just read, next thing I knew I finished both books and remember a good amount, dated as it was alot of it applies
other than that its trial and error, making and breaking circuits just for fun and learning

What books should I read?

this book has helped me alot:

it is a little old, but very informative.