How to stop machine

Hello, My first post in there.

I'm looking for an idea how to solve the problems we have at work.

There is a swivel crane that lifts metal sheet from lift to another machine.

When swivel crane is in specific position it can make a contact with lift and this is what we want to avoid.

I was thinking about having little push buttons switch on the crane. And if the switch is pressed ( only at certain position ) it will send a signal to lift and it will then isolate lift.

The thing is that now when the crane is facing towards the lift , lift can crash into crane either from top or from the bottom.

Another possibility is to install ultrasonic sensor underneath the swivel crane just in the position where crane pointing at lift and measure distance. Then calculate if it's pointing at it or not. If it's pointing at lift then again isolate lift.

Am I right with this?

What would you guys suggest for doing this?

Thank you a lot for any suggestions. I'll try to upload a picture for better explanation of the problem.

From your brief description my first impression is that this is an industrial project that requires a robust professional solution. Components need to be chosen and positioned so that they can withstand the normal abuse of an industrial environment.

I don't think technical advice from people (like me) whose competence is not known to you would be appropriate.

...R

I was thinking about having little push buttons switch on the crane. And if the switch is pressed ( only at certain position ) it will send a signal to lift and it will then isolate lift.

Yes it is, actually your opinion to use the push button for the crane movement directly it was a solution for this quote.

When swivel crane is in specific position it can make a contact with lift and this is what we want to avoid.

garnierr:

Get your money back from, and or fire, the idiot/s who designed and approved and built that.

Robin2:
…this is an industrial project that requires a robust professional solution.

I don’t think technical advice from people (like me) whose competence is not known to you would be appropriate.

I don’t want to dilute the OP’s thread with philosophy, but this could start an interesting discussion itself. Electronics is and long has been, a strange hobby, and here of course I include the mechanics associated with it. It’s strange in the sense that the home enthusiast can buy pretty much the same stuff a pro can buy (budget permitting), hook it all together and make stuff whirl around and lights flash. There is no equivalent non-professional hobby in say medicine (or at least I hope not.) First-aiders don’t get ideas in their minds about home apendectomies, and ask for advice on hobby first aid forums in the hope of getting some sensible advice from other first-aiders. No medical professional would hang out on such a forum and give free advice (“Look at the attached diagram- you need to cut from a to b about 3cm deep then reach in an grab the…”). That there are professional electrical, electronics and mechanical engineers and other technical professionals here is surely a fact, but coincidental: they’re here in their hobby role not as consulting engineers.

If you were wanting to re-vamp your firm’s accounting system, or build a new wing on the offices, or update the corporate jet from steam gauges to glass, you would never in a million years think of asking some random guys or gals around the office and factory to do that. (Unless of course that was your business in the first place; I daresay avionics companies own their own aircraft, for example.) You would get a professional to do it. Sure, those random folk may be the internal clients, and very likely one would be the PM, but they are very unlikely to be the diy designers and contractors.

Yet every T, D &H who picks up an Arduino and a Meccano set thinks that just because they can do exactly that, pick up hobby stuff off Amazon, they can automate a factory safely. Hey, I have a robot arm picking up a ping-pong ball and putting it in a dish; how difficult can it be to control the rods in a nuclear reactor?

Robin2:
I don’t think technical advice from people (like me) whose competence is not known to you would be appropriate.

Even if your competence was known to be top class, and you’re the holder of the Nobel Prize for Factory Automation, it wouldn’t be appropriate.

neiklot:
If you were wanting to re-vamp your firm’s accounting system, …

Can’t you just do that with SQLite and Ruby on Rails ? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

At least it won’t kill anyone or take someone’s finger off if it goes wrong.

…R

Robin2: At least it won't kill anyone or take someone's finger off if it goes wrong.

Might mess them up with The Tax Man though, which is even worse.