How to stop one device from interfering with another

Ok so I have an arduino with a wave shield attached. Everything for that circuit works great. I also have a fog machine that works fine by itself. However I need the arduino to be on and running at the same time that the fog machine must be working. Right now when I press the button to make the fog machine expel fog it sometimes makes one of the sounds play from the arduino/wave shield. They are not connected together other than they are both plugged into the same surge protector. I have tried to run the power for the fog machine to another outlet with no change in unwanted results. Not really sure what could be going on here. Anybody have any ideas? The fog machine has a power cord and a rather long(20ft) wired remote. Could some kind of interference be the cause of this or is it more likely to be something with the power?

Brewskio:
Right now when I press the button to make the fog machine expel fog it sometimes makes one of the sounds play from the arduino/wave shield.....

I have tried to run the power for the fog machine to another outlet with no change in unwanted results...

So if my understanding is correct, you do not want the arduino shield to play a sound when the fog machine expels fog? is that your unwanted result?

First of all what is your arduino's power source?. Have you tried running your arduino from a battery and observed the result?

Hi,
Can you post a picture of your project so we can see your component layout.

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Noobian, that is correct. When the fog machine is pressed all it should do is expel fog...no sound. The sounds are for another project not connected to the fog machine. The battery idea is one i will try today, though I really need these to run without having to worry about batteries.

As for a picture, there would be many to encompass my whole setup, suffice to say that the fog machine is plugged into a surge protector and is only supposed to expel fog when the remote is pressed. The arduino/wave shield is also plugged into the surge protector but it produces sounds from a relay circuit installed in an adjoining room.

Unwanted interactions like that are usually caused by power supply problems.

No one can help until you post a diagram showing how everything is wired.

Hi,

As for a picture, there would be many to encompass my whole setup, suffice to say that the fog machine is plugged into a surge protector and is only supposed to expel fog when the remote is pressed. The arduino/wave shield is also plugged into the surge protector but it **produces sounds from a relay circuit installed in an adjoining room. **

Is the Arduino installed in the other room as well?
If not, what do you have connecting it to the other room?

Long unshielded wires will act as aerials to any switching noise from mains supply.

A picture of your Arduino part of the project will be fine.

Thanks… Tom… :slight_smile:

Brewskio:
though I really need these to run without having to worry about batteries.

I didn't say you need to run your project using batteries, just asked you to test it using batteries in order to observe the result so that we can help you identify on what's actually causing the issue.

This is simply interference from the fog machine getting into the Arduino. You can either stop or reduce the interference or make the Arduino more robust against the interference.

The interference can get into the Arduino in two ways, conducted or radiated.

Without seeing your setup we have no idea about how to tackle this more specifically.

Your choice.