How to storage and read info from a database?

Hi guys, First of all I really want to sorry if my English,which not really good, can make you misunderstand. I am doing a project and my target is Read/write data into a RFID card. My requirement are get data of a student,for example, into the card, the database will have the structure like this

StudentID,Firstname,Lastname for example: ILI12115,Tri,Truong

and I meet many problems here. So anyone can help or give me an idea to solve these following problem: - Where can I storage this database?( it maybe more than 1000 students) - Which kind of file I should use for this database? txt or vcf? - I am using Arduino Mega 2560 and I used I2C interface for LCD 16x4 and SPI for RFID reader. If I want to use SD card (I got an DIY SD card module) so how can I use this because 2 interface had been used. I hear about the ICSP interface but I dont know how to use it so if anyone have a idea about this please give me some info or manual about using this one :) - after all above problems are solved, so how can I assign (declare?) this database into my code? Thanks for your guys helping. Hope to get the reply soon. :)

Is this a project for a class?

fat16lib: Is this a project for a class?

It could be called like that. Actually, this is my capstone project which project for the third year EE student :D

You can connect both SD and RFID to SPI. Each must have its own chip select pin. For an idea how this is done check the Ethernet Shield schematics. It should SPI connected to SD and W5100.

You need to do the numbers to understand the database design choices. A simple text file stored on SD or even EEPROM will work just fine for 10-100 students. And you could even get that into SRAM but 1000 students requires much more design to get that to work on with the limited memory available.

I am assuming that the RFID signature is the key to the database entry. That will have to be in the database as well.

Cheers!

kowalski: You can connect both SD and RFID to SPI. Each must have its own chip select pin. For an idea how this is done check the Ethernet Shield schematics. It should SPI connected to SD and W5100.

You need to do the numbers to understand the database design choices. A simple text file stored on SD or even EEPROM will work just fine for 10-100 students. And you could even get that into SRAM but 1000 students requires much more design to get that to work on with the limited memory available.

I am assuming that the RFID signature is the key to the database entry. That will have to be in the database as well.

Cheers!

Thanks for your help about the SD and RFID :). Can you give me some examples to get the data from the database? p/s: My instructor told me that I must to use the ID instead of ordinal number because the RFID card contain the infomation include first name, last name and student ID, which is our university student card. So I must to coding for the arduino can recognize and read the ID from the database and print out names and authorizations on the 16x4 LCD and also control the door about allow or denied access to the class, for example. :)

Sketch your design and present it. Show that you have understood the classes you have attended.

What are your requirements? Number of students? Amount of information per student? What is the required max time delay?

For the database design you need to figure out how to build it. Using text (for instance CSV) allows building it on another machine. But the text version might not give the performance needed. Do the numbers!

When you know the numbers you should be able to select the necessary design principle. The data might need to be transformed to binary format and an index added to get performance.

Cheers!

You may find this interesting:

http://blog.brauingenieur.de/2014/01/20/extended-database-library-using-an-sd-card/