How to store a String in Arduino's Flash Memory and then Retrieve it?

I have a string that I'd like to store in my Arduino Uno's flash memory vs its SRAM as it is dangerously close to being full. I would then like to retrieve that string and print one of it's items to a micro SD card that I have hooked up to it. Is there a way to do this?

Is it a string, as in your question, or a String as in the topic title ?

The string as in my question/the data type when programming the Arduino

Sorry, it is still not clear which type of variable it is. Can you please give an example of how your would declare such a variable to be held in normal memory ?

There is a difference between a String (with a capital S) and a string (with a lower-case s) and the answer to your question will depend on which you are using.

ryanf123:
I have a string that I'd like to store in my Arduino Uno's flash memory vs its SRAM as it is dangerously close to being full. I would then like to retrieve that string and print one of it's items to a micro SD card that I have hooked up to it. Is there a way to do this?

Not exactly clear what you mean by a string's items. Do you mean a character, or several characters, within the string?

Sorry, here is the code String Names[] = {"L.Ring", "R.Pointer", "R.Middle", "R.Ring", "L.Pinky", "L.Thumb", "R.Pinky", "R.Thumb"}; So string with a capital S.

https://arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/71195/how-to-store-a-string-in-arduinos-flash-memory-and-then-retrieve-it

Does the data have to be of type String (objects created with the String library) or could it be strings (zero terminated arrays of chars) ?

This also applies to more complex data types. I would have THOUGHT that you could store basic types in an array, but it turns out you can't. For instance, variables are composed of a pointer to the variable and an 8 bit unsigned integer representing it's size mcdvoice

Jenkinss:
This also applies to more complex data types. I would have THOUGHT that you could store basic types in an array, but it turns out you can’t. For instance, variables are composed of a pointer to the variable and an 8 bit unsigned integer representing it’s size.

Gibberish.

Here are a couple of reference pages on PROGMEM

Arduino reference page for Progmem

Putting constant data into program memory

Generally the String type should be avoided, because it can lead to memory corruption in an arduino, and you are already low on ram. Storing the text as strings (null-terminated char arrays) will work fine with print statements, and the above web pages explain how to do that, with the exception that they do not mention the use of casting to (__FlashStringHelper *) in the print statement to avoid having to copy the string to ram before print it.

Here is an example of storing your text in PROGMEM:

const char name0[] PROGMEM = "L.Ring";
const char name1[] PROGMEM = "R.Pointer";
const char name2[] PROGMEM = "R.Middle";
const char name3[] PROGMEM = "R.Ring";
const char name4[] PROGMEM = "L.Pinky";
const char name5[] PROGMEM = "L.Thumb";
const char name6[] PROGMEM = "R.Pinky";
const char name7[] PROGMEM = "R.Thumb";
const char * const Names[] PROGMEM = {name0, name1, name2, name3, name4, name5, name6, name7};

void setup(){
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  for (byte i = 0; i < (sizeof(Names) / sizeof(Names[0])); i++) {
    //Names[i] contains a pointer to a char array
    //&Names[i] references the actual char array 
    //pgm_read_word retrieves the pointer to the char array from PROGMEM
    //__FlashStringHelper * informs the compiler that the pointer references a char array that is stored in PROGMEM
    Serial.println((__FlashStringHelper *)pgm_read_word(&Names[i]));
  }
  //the F() macro tells the compiler to store the quoted text in PROGMEM instead of dynamic ram
  //this can save a lot of dynamic memory if you are print a lot of literal text
  Serial.println(F("complete"));
  delay(30000);
}