How to supply power to 6 sensors on Duemilanove

Hi

This is probably a stupid question but i'm new to this.

I want to connect 6 Sharp IR sensors to my Duemilanove, but not sure how to Ground and Power them all, it seems like there are only 2 ground pins and 3 power......am i missing something?

Many thanks in advance

Yeah, they are all connected together anyway. Just connect all the power and ground pins together.

Mowcius

Thanks for the quick reply i'm kinda pushed for time on this

So do you mean solder all the powers together, or split them 3 and 3 and plug them into one or two power sockets? and do the same for ground

Thanks again

It makes no difference.

If you look at the board carefully you will see that all of the ground pins are connected together on the board.

Therefore it does not matter which one you plug them into as you are effectively plugging them all into the same one even if you plug them into 'different ones' on the board.

Mowcius

Hi

thanks for the info, i've done what you said and connected all powers and grounds to two pins, but now i've got another problem!

When all the sensors are connected the current is drained, my mac says that the arduino is using to much power from the usb port! it says on the arduino site that there is 40mA per i/o pin and the sensor spec is 30 mA per sensor....so it should be alright?

Can anyone think of a way to get around this?

Any help would be much appreciated

Hmm, I would have thought that it would be ok through the USB port. I recommend you supply it through the DC jack then. 7-12V 'wall wort' would be best. Something 500mA or above also would be best. See if that sorts the problem. Is it only the sensors plugged into the arduino?

Mowcius

Yea just the sensors. I'll try what you said and see if it works

Thanks a lot for your help

Hi would something like this be best

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=226

and just plug it into the arduino then use the pins as normal?

Thanks again

Something like that should be fine. Just set it to 7.5V (it will no doubt be higher but will still be fine) and away you go!

If you have a search around your house you will probably find that you already have a suitable DC supply. Maybe off an old broken router or something. They are often 9-12V and the right sized DC plug...

Mowcius

Hi

I've tried it with a 10v 1.2A power supply and the same thing happens i have 3 ir sensors (need 6 eventually) plugged in pins 0-2 and have connected all power to one 5.5 v pin and the grounds to a ground pin

I have no idea why it's not working. Some body told me i might have to connect to the power supply before it gets regulated, but im not sure what they meant, or how to do it

Anybody had the same problem? or can give some advice

Would be much appreciated Thanks

The nightmare continues

Ok just plugged it in again with 10v 1.2A power supply and it began to burn i think it must be the voltage regulator overheating. This shouldn't of happened tho cause the power supply is within the recommended 7-12V

Ok just plugged it in again with 10v 1.2A power supply and it began to burn i think it must be the voltage regulator overheating. This shouldn't of happened tho cause the power supply is within the recommended 7-12V

Well the regulator should be ok up to 24V. I just recommended a supply that was less becuase it should keep the regulator cooler and most unregulated wall-worts supply above the rated voltage.

First question, is it an official arduino board or a knockoff or clone board? Some of the knockoffs can be of inferior quality.

Mowcius

It's official, i bought it from cool components the sensors are all sharp ir sensors 80cm range, and the power supply is 10v 1.2 amp (thats what it says it is anyway)

Since i plugged the power supply in the second time and the arduino began to smolder, when i plug just one sensor to one pin all the pins react to the one sensor and there is a lot of noise. I think the arduino might be screwed...hahah nightmare

I need this working asap as i have a deadline for uni next week. The idea was to use the 6 sensors as inputs in Junxion (software to convert input data to midi) then export as midi to ableton live.

any idea whats happening here?

Thanks again for your help

It's official, i bought it from cool components the sensors are all sharp ir sensors 80cm range, and the power supply is 10v 1.2 amp (thats what it says it is anyway)

Yeah that all sounds good

Since i plugged the power supply in the second time and the arduino began to smolder, when i plug just one sensor to one pin all the pins react to the one sensor and there is a lot of noise. I think the arduino might be screwed...hahah nightmare

Doesn't sound too good.

I need this working asap as i have a deadline for uni next week. The idea was to use the 6 sensors as inputs in Junxion (software to convert input data to midi) then export as midi to ableton live.

Sounds like a cool project

any idea whats happening here?

Well if you have a mulitmeter then check the power supply as it may be that which was bust which then supplied the arduino with too high a voltage which then destroyed the arduino or something. The regulator on the arduino is good for 400mA so with just those sensors (and the arduino) then it whould have been within limits. I'm a bit stuck there I'm afraid. If you can work out what it was that messed it up you can stop it happenening again but I think your board may be scrap after what you have said has happened. :(

Mowcius

Cool man thanks for all the help!

Looks like it's back to the drawing board, arrrh!

I have a phidget interface as well but same prob with the sensors, and theres no option to plug in a power supply. But if i can find a work around i might be able to interface the sensors with Max/Msp then send midi from there.

Anyway dude thanks again