How to tell if this relay can handle a 12V solonoid valve?

Hey guys. I’m a newbie in the art of eletronics. I have general concepts of eletronics e.g. resistors, capacitators, and so on… but I would like to buy a solonoid valve. I bought a starter kit for Arduino (https://www.boxelectronica.com/pt/kits-arduino/696-beginner-kit-for-arduino-.html) and it came with a relay. It’s a hrs1h-s-dc5v (image bellow) and it says it’s 1A and 120V/AC and 1A 24V/DC. Does this mean that it can handle a max of 1A charge?

I would like to buy this solonoid valve to use it as a regulator of flux in an irrigation system: https://www.boxelectronica.com/pt/electro-valvulas-valvulas/911-electrovalvula-12v-12-normalmente-fechada.html?search_query=electrovalvula+12v&results=2

I’m not sure if this relay can handle the valve or does it need another relay?

If my statement is not correct could you elaborate to me what does the 1A 24V/DC and 1A 120V/AC means?

Thank you for taking the time to answer :slight_smile:

It can drive a solenoid valve of up to 1A load . It is recommended that a flywheel diode is placed across the solenoid valve coil ( Google it ) to make life easier for the contacts .

PaulHammy: It can drive a solenoid valve of up to 1A load . It is recommended that a flywheel diode is placed across the solenoid valve coil ( Google it ) to make life easier for the contacts .

The solenoid valve that I would like to buy is perfect for this right?

brunofrancisco11: The solenoid valve that I would like to buy is perfect for this right?

The solenoid valve you listed requires 450ma max, (less than. 1/2 an amp) so it will easily handle the current requirements. Ed

PaulHammy: It can drive a solenoid valve of up to 1A load .

It can drive a resistive load of 1A. That's very different to an inductive 1A load.

It is surprising how much derating is necessary if your load is not purely resistive.

Good point Saximus ,my mistake there. A so called flywheel diode ( a diode across the coil does help stop sparking across the contacts)

PaulHammy forgot to say ....

reducing sparks on your contacts will extend the livetime of your relais.

Please follow his tip!