How to test if a third party WifI device is transmitting Data.

I am looking for a way to prove a Wifi device is transmitting something, at this stage I don't need to know what it is sending just that it is sending, I am hoping some one here can make a suggestion.
The existing situation.
I have an Outback Alino Inverter Charger off grid solar unit that is supposed to be able to be connected to a cloud device via a third party WiFi unit.

We have connected and set up as per the instructions but it does not appear to read the device, as far as I can tell there are 3 - 4 possible areas of failure:

1. The Alino to Wifi Module connection
  2. The Wifi Module is faulty
  3. The Wifi to Cloud connection
  4. the Cloud to monitoring program connection.

So what I am wondering is if I get an Arduino IDE based ESP32 that I know transmits and receives over a WiFi network and write some code to receive and record data whether it will help confirm the card is connecting to a wifi network and transmitting data packets?

Any thoughts?

TIA

I am unsure what you are asking for.
Has it ever worked?
Can you ping it?

If the WiFi device has connected to WiFi then it will show up in the router's configuration; you should be able to find a table in the router's configuration showing all the devices it's connected to. If you want to intercept the data from a particular device you need a switch with port mirroring.

If you have a suitable laptop or tablet etc with wifi you should be able to run a network scanner that will show if the Alino-wifi is present on the network.

SteveMann:
I am unsure what you are asking for.
Has it ever worked?
Can you ping it?

We don't know its IP address so can't ping it, but we can build a small network with a hot spotted phone and two devices (laptop and Alino device) I have tried a couple of network searches but cannot confirm its there.

PerryBebbington:
If the WiFi device has connected to WiFi then it will show up in the router's configuration; you should be able to find a table in the router's configuration showing all the devices it's connected to. If you want to intercept the data from a particular device you need a switch with port mirroring.

Currently we do not have access to the router configuration, but thanks for the suggestion I will ask IT if they can identify it.

johnerrington:
If you have a suitable laptop or tablet etc with wifi you should be able to run a network scanner that will show if the Alino-wifi is present on the network.

We have tried a DOS based search but its not conclusive, we really need to know not only is it on the network but also is it sending data.

Dos based search

arp - a gives limited informatyion.

A (free) network scanner such as angry IP scanner will give more.

Also you can try

for /l %i in (1,1,254) do @ping 192.168.1.%i -w 10 -n 1 | find “Reply”

to ping a range of ip addresses.

Before you can test whether its transmitting you need to know where it is.

Then you can use a packet sniffer such as wireshark to see if its transmitting.

Thank you for your help, I had used -arp a to find what was on the network. I did try Angry IP but had an issue loading it, I will try again tomorrow when I get back to work. I didn't know about wireshark so again thanks for that suggestion.

I use Advanced IP Scanner here.