How to use 5v relay module for underground cable fault detection project

Hello sir! I am working on a final year project which is underground cable fault detection using arduino board. I want to know that how to use the 5V relay module on that and how the connections are made with relay module. Please help me in this case. I have already bought the circuit components and maded the required connections appropriately. But the problem is that the lcd display shows only NF. When i created the fault through switches, it does not show the fault distances.

I have attached the program code below.

project_final.ino (2.13 KB)

(deleted)

pinakinvaghela76:
I want to know that how to use the 5V relay module on that and how the connections are made with relay module.

What module? (no link to actual module or its circuit diagram given)
How would that be connected to the cable? (no circuit diagram of your proposed project given).
Please post code inline, using code </> tags.

Which circuit and algorithm do you want to use for the detection of a cable fault distance?

I know about RF based methods for such projects, but no Arduino based solution.

Can we assume this is a metal underground cable and not a fiber underground cable?

Paul

Connect 5v to one wire and the relay to the other. When you throw the switch measure the time between when the switch was thrown and when the relay activates. Subtract the time taken for the relay operation lag and using that time calculate the distance the electricity traveled by multiplying the time by speed of electricity through wire, divide by two and there is the distance to your fault.

(Above explanation based on available information given and circuit supplied)

Sorry to those upset by this answer but it makes as much sense as the question

Electric current travels at the speed of light, no chance to measure the time at affordable cost.

You mean that my Arduino does not work at the speed of light. BUGGER!

(Sarcastic posting done)

Please post more info than you have done so you may be helped and drop the Sir so both sexes can answer.

Help us to help you.

Thank You

Sorry, i can’t see your code here on my tablet.
Please post inline with </> code tags.

More importantly, it seems some fundamentals are missing.
Posting a schematic would help, but I suspect you’re looking for TDR (time domain reflectometry) which will need a lot more than a relay.

If you can drain a wire to ground, you can give it weak 5V and be able to read the pin to see how many reads it takes to fill the wire to HIGH. It will need calibrating and may be measurably subject to influence by external electrical fields.

pinakinvaghela76:
Hello sir! I am working on a final year project which is underground cable fault detection using arduino board. I want to know that how to use the 5V relay module on that and how the connections are made with relay module. Please help me in this case. I have already bought the circuit components and maded the required connections appropriately. But the problem is that the lcd display shows only NF. When i created the fault through switches, it does not show the fault distances.

I have attached the program code below.

Here is a serious answer based on personal experience.

Go talk to some of your local electrical contractors and ask how they detect a break in an under ground wire and determine where the break is located.

They did this for me several years ago when a neighbor cut the wire going to our shared water well.

They do this for a living and don't use a relay.

Paul

If you can pulse the wire, it will be an antenna.

TDR techniques are used for both copper and optical cable faultfinding . Not Arduinos, and certainly not relays.

Nifty stuff.

Allan