How to use a motor practically?

I have several motors, and I have no problem getting them to spin. The problem I'm facing is that I don't know how to practically connect anything to these motors. One of my project ideas involves rotating an auger with a motor. Another involves as rod that would have an up and down motion using locomotives. But the problem is that I don't know how to connect these things to the motor. How would you guys use a motor in practice? How do you connect components to them?

¿How are your motors? (Post a photo at least)

Where are them coming from? (You have to have an idea of the RPM they spin at, the posibility of change -control- it and the torque they give -the characteristic curve, in fact-)

Regards

You need to identify the type of motion required:
A- Rotary====> Ratio ? (motor RPM to Output RPM)===> gearbox ?
b- Linear ======>Resolution ? (mm linear travel /per revolution of motor shaft
ie: Leadscrew linear actuator , 50mm/rev

How would you guys use a motor in practice? How do you connect components to them?

When I was a kid I used to drive all sorts of stuff mounted on the motor's shaft from plastic transistor housing pipes to wooden sheets.
Basically you need to get some good gearing or shaft locks like they have on the servos ,here are some of the examples >> Search Results for motor gear - SparkFun Electronics ,there are various Gear mount hubs that you can use that may eventually suit your applicaiton.

If you are using small low power motors you may be able to join the shaft to another shaft with a piece of plastic tube - for example some of the insulation from household electrical cable.

I have fitted Lego gears to a motor by putting a piece of insulation on the motor shaft and pushing the gear onto it.

Another crude but effective option is to use one of the brass connectors from an electric "chocolate block" connector. They come in various sizes. The problem is that they are not balanced so they will vibrate at speed.

And you can drive a rubber-band belt directly from the motor shaft.

You can get a wide range of brass tube sizes in many hobby shops and from model engineering supplers. A small piece could be a push-fit or be glued on the motor shaft.

Hobby shops (on the High Street and online) have lots of options.

...R

practically, you need to detail what shaft size. the commercial world starts at about 1/4" dia and then moves up.

you can find geared motors that are smaller and often press fit.

rotating an auger ? like to auger the garden ? auger a sewer line ?

sketch what you want to do.

a locomotive ? you mean a rotating section with a crank arm ? car piston is on such an rotating shaft.

looking to arduinofi something like this ? if you want to move something, it is in there !
what I can’t figure out is why the elf has the camera up so high… iike he is standing on the table. and where Mrs. Claus is hanging out.

dave-in-nj:
practically, you need to detail what shaft size. the commercial world starts at about 1/4" dia and then moves up.

What about the millions of motors with shafts from 1mm to 6.35mm, or even below 1mm?

...R

NZheadshot:
I have several motors, and I have no problem getting them to spin. The problem I'm facing is that I don't know how to practically connect anything to these motors. One of my project ideas involves rotating an auger with a motor. Another involves as rod that would have an up and down motion using locomotives. But the problem is that I don't know how to connect these things to the motor. How would you guys use a motor in practice? How do you connect components to them?

I'd look around robotics suppliers for gear and pulley/belt kits, there will be something
there that inspires you! google something like "robotics gear motor kit"

I addition to my sparkFun link please also look into seeedstudio folks and makeBlock kit.

Hey,

try press-fit or glue something to the motor shaft. Use a good glue that is suited for metal like Loctite.

Greets!

Re-read all your replies and post a photo of the motor shaft along with the motor datasheet. Post a photo of the device you which to drive with the motor. Include a ruler in the photo. Post a hand drawing of a block diagram showing the purpose of the entire project
that explains what drives what . For each case specify the type of motion, (Linear or rotory). For each case specify resolution: (mm of linear motion per revolution of motor shaft, or INPUT/OUTPUT rotary ratio (Revolutions of input shaft to revolutions of output shaft).
Specify dimensions of the part you want to drive with the motor shaft. (if it is a shaft you want to drive (like an auger) then what is the diameter of the auger shaft ? If you need linear up and down motion then you need a linear actuator and you need to specify the range of linear motion in mm and the speed in mm per sec required.
Without the above info, we can't help you.