How to Use DC 12V 30A Dual Channel H-Bridge DC Motor Controller

I recently ordered a pair of motor drivers off of amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Channel-H-Bridge-Controller-Reversible-Control/dp/B07LBZT7HK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1550005744&sr=8-2&keywords=h-bridge+dual+motor+driver+dbh-12v

(This is for a high school underwater robotics project btw, we want to power four 12v dc motors)
However now that I have them I can't find any guides on setting them up with an Arduino Uno, specifically how to wire them. I'm afraid of just playing around and ruining the boards or something... Any advice would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:
Thanks for your time,
-Kyle

Look at the silk screening beside the connector. That tells you exactly what each of the pins on the connector are for.

The undocumented part is how fast to pulse the CT pins and that is something you will have to experiment with.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Look at the silk screening beside the connector. That tells you exactly what each of the pins on the connector are for.

The undocumented part is how fast to pulse the CT pins and that is something you will have to experiment with.

Paul

Thanks Paul :slight_smile: that makes more sense now, I probably should have looked closer before posting this :stuck_out_tongue:
Few more questions though, what do the 'CT' and 'EN' pins do? Also, do the In1 and In2 pins control on/off and direction or something else?

ImKyle:
Thanks Paul :slight_smile: that makes more sense now, I probably should have looked closer before posting this :stuck_out_tongue:
Few more questions though, what do the 'CT' and 'EN' pins do? Also, do the In1 and In2 pins control on/off and direction or something else?

Do other motor controllers have similarly identified pins and have documentation that shows what they are and how they are used?

Paul

I connected this driver similarly to the driver L298N.
IN 1, IN 2 - set the direction of rotation.
EN - To adjust the speed of the motors.
GND - ' - '
V + '+ 5 volts'
ATTENTION if you have connected the power to the PWR more than 5 volts (to power the motors), "V +" DO NOT CONNECT TO ARDUINO, (otherwise arduino will burn).

CT I do not know why. Without this, you can rotate the motor in two directions and adjust the speed of rotation.

1 Like

int IN1 = 5;
int IN2 = 4;
int EN = 3;
void setup()
{
pinMode (EN, OUTPUT);
pinMode (IN1, OUTPUT);
pinMode (IN2, OUTPUT);
}
void loop()
{
digitalWrite (IN1, HIGH);
digitalWrite (IN2, LOW);

analogWrite(EN,55);
delay(2000);
analogWrite(EN,105);
delay(2000);
analogWrite(EN,255);
delay(2000);

analogWrite(EN,0);
delay(5000);

digitalWrite (IN1, LOW);
digitalWrite (IN2, HIGH);

analogWrite(EN,55);
delay(2000);
analogWrite(EN,105);
delay(2000);
analogWrite(EN,255);
delay(2000);

analogWrite(EN,0);
delay(5000);
}

ImKyle:

CT may be current sense, its not clear.

It seems to be a discrete MOSFET design with 4 SOIC8 MOSFETs and 2 high/low MOSFET driver chips,
also SOIC8.

This means you may need to avoid holding the inputs continuously high, since most high-low drivers
require switching waveform to be present to charge the bootstrapped supply for the high-side. So use
PWM upto at most 95% duty cycle.