How to use this engine?

Hi,
I have done only a few simple experiments with Arduino.
Now I have this small engine, I think it was part of a DVD reader or something similar, I don't know.

I'd like to use it for a small experiment, I'd like to start and stop it with Arduino.
What kind of engine is this?
Where can I find some suggestions on how to design the circuit?
I can see it needs a voltage of 5.9 volts.
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Claudio

It is a brushed DC motor. You need a motor driver, and a single transistor will do, like this. Don't forget the diode! For that small motor, an NPN bipolar transistor like 2N2222 will probably also work.

The motor will very likely run on as little as 1.5V (single AA battery), but more than 6V will tend to burn it out early.

ioclaudio:
Hi,
I have done only a few simple experiments with Arduino.
Now I have this small engine, I think it was part of a DVD reader or something similar, I don't know.

I'd like to use it for a small experiment, I'd like to start and stop it with Arduino.
What kind of engine is this?
Where can I find some suggestions on how to design the circuit?
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Claudio

Welcome to the Arduino forum and Karma point for posting a picture i the proper way. It's a lot of work for an initial posting.

In English, you have a "motor", not an engine. English motor means an internal combustion device.

Yes, it needs 5.9 volts, by the stamped writing on the motor. But, depending on how long you intend to run it, you can use more than that. Try 6 volts, etc.

Anything you do with a motor and an Arduino requires something more than just connecting to an Arduino pin. You need at least a transistor or a mosfet to handle the current required by the motor. There are lots of threads on the forum relating to motors and Arduino. Use the search icon on the upper right of your screen to search the forum.

Good luck.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
In English, you have a "motor", not an engine. English motor means an internal combustion device.

I think you meant to say
English motor engine means an internal combustion device.

:slight_smile:

...R

Both are powered by magic smoke!

Paul

ioclaudio:

No, its more likely model B, Version 5.9, perhaps. A voltage specification has the numbers then the unit, as in "6V".
Motor voltage ratings are never as precise as 5.9V anyway.

RF500 is a standard size of small motor I believe. If you can figure out the manufacturer, find its full part number
in one of their product catalogues you might learn more. The voltage is going to be the same as the rail
of the DVD drive (either 12V or 5V, depending).

Thank you very much for your answers I really appreciate your corrections and suggestions.
So it is a DC motor, now I know what kind of tutorials to search on the forum and on the Internet.
I don't remember what this engine was part of and I've found a datasheet on the Internet without success.

I've only connected the motor to the ground and to the 5V of Arduino and I've seen that it works, I know that I need a better configuration and a scheme like the one suggested by @jremington.
I also need to review how transistors work because I don't remember anything.
Thank you very much.

ioclaudio:
I don't remember what this engine was part of and I've found a datasheet on the Internet without success.

http://www.motors.wrobots.com/RF-300C-11440.php