How to use this sensor?

RS Stock No. 304-166 Manufacturer RS Mfr. Part No. 11422-050 The sensor is Magnetic pick up sensor. I want use arduino to programme it and digitised the data out. Urgent! =( :cold_sweat:

What did you try sofar?

Do you have a link to the datasheet as the number does not tell me anything.

If it is really urgent, you better post it under gigs and collaborations and offer money for a solution ! might trigger more people to help you

Here i have attached the datasheet for the sensor. I don’t know how to initialize the #define and write under void() code. :disappointed_relieved:

0900766b8002baec.pdf (512 KB)

0900766b800319c3.pdf (1 MB)

The sensor appears to generate a voltage so this is a job for analogRead()

float voltage = analogRead() * 5.0 /1023;

However depending on your application you need to sample it quite often to see the variation in voltage? Maybe you need to convert it to a digital pulse and use interrupt? There is too little information even to make an educated guess.

So maybe you should tell far more details what the application (your project) is about?

The magnetic pick up sensor is used to sense the magnet from a propeller which immerse in a beaker filled with water. When the water is stirred, the propeller turning as well. I want to programme the sensor from reading up analog signal and digitize to digital signal. I need help on programming code. What should i define # and write under void()? I want to measure the flow of latex. Once it coagulated the flow will slower. As the flow slower will produce lesser voltage.

That sensor generates a 10V p-p AC signal that if fed to an Arduino analog input will fry the Arduino pretty quickly. You will need to rectify the output to pulsating DC and send that signal through a Schmitt trigger or other device to square the signal up before sending it to the Arduino. Once conditioned the signal could be connected to a digital input and counted/timed.

What is it that you want to measure, the RPM of the propellor? If so, then see this post http://forum.arduino.cc//index.php?topic=185066.msg1370326#msg1370326 and the rest of that thread.

robtillaart:
The sensor appears to generate a voltage so this is a job for analogRead()

float voltage = analogRead() * 5.0 /1023;

However depending on your application you need to sample it quite often to see the variation in voltage?
Maybe you need to convert it to a digital pulse and use interrupt?
There is too little information even to make an educated guess.

So maybe you should tell far more details what the application (your project) is about?

I have tried the command but it only detect small voltage like 1-4 volts sometimes 1010 volts when magnet i near on it. But mostly all the time is 0. Why ? However when i first putting nearby the metal material/ magnet it shows few readings after than maintain zero.

leong92: I have tried the command but it only detect small voltage like 1-4 volts sometimes 1010 volts when magnet i near on it. But mostly all the time is 0. Why ? However when i first putting nearby the metal material/ magnet it shows few readings after than maintain zero.

Variable reluctance sensors like that one produce an output proportional to the change in magnetic field. See the diagrams labelled "Conventional output signal" on the first page of the first datasheet you linked to, and pages 2 onwards of the second datasheet. If you want to detect a steady magnetic field, you need a Hall sensor instead.

Variable reluctance sensors like that one produce an output proportional to the change in magnetic field. See the diagrams labelled "Conventional output signal" on the first page of the first datasheet you linked to, and pages 2 onwards of the second datasheet. If you want to detect a steady magnetic field, you need a Hall sensor instead. [/quote]

Does this mean this sensor is not suitable in measuring the magnetic field ? If Hall effect sensor is used, how can i determine the flow rate of the liquids whereby the propeller is attached magnet on it and let it turn in the liquid?

You can use that sensor to measure the rotation speed of the magnet, except when the rotation is very slow. You could also use a digital Hall sensor such as the US1881, provided that you can place the Hall sensor close enough to the magnet to detect it.