How to use ths Temp-sensor?

Hi I have a main board out of an old toaster oven and want to use it for a different project. It has a ribbon cable going to the control module and I have found the leads to activate the relay for the heating element and the the fan-motor.

It has this (pic) temp-sensor with no numbers on it that I can see. It has 5vdc on one leg and the other seems to have 0.37vdc no matter what the temp is. This is the only obvious temp sensor so wondering how it is used. It would save me the expense of buying a thermocouple.

The temps I am looking for are up around the 450-F mark the oven as operating at and a DS18 will not go that high…

Can any one please help with how to use it with a Nano.

Thanks

Was it working before you removed it?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Was it working before you removed it?

:smiley: good question, sorry, should have said, yes, it was all working. I actually got the 5vdc and 0.37vdc measurements from it while it was working and before pulling it from the control module.

It look like to tiny copper cups facing each other with a little gap between them. The wires are crimped to the two end leads of the sensor so they could be stainless or something else that doesn't solder. If that helps.

If it's a thermocouple, you will read some millivolts across the leads. That will change with temperature. I can't find any similar pictures of a temperature sensor.

Paul

It's a typical glass-encapsulated thermistor. The resistance varies with temperature.

Chagrin:
It's a typical glass-encapsulated thermistor. The resistance varies with temperature.

Awesome, thanks, and indeed it does. Starts at around 120K and drops as temp increases.