How to verify a bridge rectifier's bridge type

Hello everyone,,
I am working on a project in which I am trying to measure current from a current transducer (SCT 013-030). I want to convert the output to VDC and connect it to a smoothing capacitor and load resistor. However, the bridge rectifier that I currently have to use (DF005M) appears to be a half bridge, not a full bridge rectifier.

I am seeking some guidance in how to best verify what type of bridge rectifier I have? Because the output signal of the CT is so small, I used a function generator to simulate a stronger input signal (60Hz, 20Vpp sin wave). I connected that input wave to the two '~' pins of the DF005M rectifier. When I connect the '+' pin to the purple channel of my oscilloscope, I understandably get only the positive parts of the wave. However, what confuses me is that when I connect the yellow channel to the '-' pin, I only read the negative parts of the wave.

It was my understanding that a full bridge rectifier inverts the negative parts of the wave. Thus, I am confused as to why a negative signal is even getting through in the first place...

Any guidance in properly implementing teh DF005M (or verifying the need for a different rectifier) would be much appreciated! I have searched online for customer reviews for the DF005M glass passivated bridge rectifier, but have not found any that discuss how to properly implement it. I can't even find manufacturer's resources that provide the internal circuit diagram for the component.

Daiszy:
I am working on a project in which I am trying to measure current from a current transducer (SCT 013-030).
I want to convert the output to VDC and connect it to a smoothing capacitor and load resistor.

Why?
A bridge rectifier has a threshold of ~1volt, meaning small currents can’t be measured that way.
The common way is to measure/sample the AC wave from the CT directly.
For that you need to bias one side of the CT mid-voltage with two resistors.
Examples/diagrams can be found on this site and on openenergymonitor.org
Seems your clip-on CT has the burden resistor already buildin (1volt output), so don’t add that externally.
Leo…

Agreed, don't use a rectifier of any type, as doing so will severely distort measurements.

This is a good tutorial describing the usual approach: Learn | OpenEnergyMonitor

As already pointed out , the max voltage output of the CT is 1V

(there are two output modes, current and voltage. It is easier to use the voltage output)

You might consider using a precision full-wave op amp rectifier and then you can amplify the output of that
with another op amp stage.

Op amp full wave rectifier

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

Did you google?

arduino SCT 013-030

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile: