How to wire a power supply for components? (or choosing the correct one)

I really don’t know if this is the right place to ask but I’ve been doing a lot of research and maybe I’m dumb and have missed something.

(I’m a new user so I’m limited to 2 links in this post. However, I want to be clear in what I’m planning on getting so I’m putting in the links in a hidden way by putting parentheses around the dot… I’m not trying to be malicious, I promise!)

I want to get a NEMA 17 stepper motor with the a4988 driver board.
I found that it is very important to use a power supply of more than 8 volts for the driver board.
Until now, I’ve only learned to build a circuit with the uln2003 driver board along with a 28-ybj48 stepper motor.

I had an existing 5V 5A power supply lying around (S-25-5 by MEANWELL) (meanwell-web(.)com/en-gb/ac-dc-enclosed-power-supply-output-5vdc-at-5a-s-25-s–25–5) that I’ve learned to use these past few days.
It was so easy to use because the wiring was “exposed” enough for me to just put some wires in and connect them to my breadboard. However, I am guessing that not all power supplies are like that but people still use them in their builds.

I feel like I’ve done extensive research on the topic but still don’t understand how to really use a power supply for my components.
(In spite of all of this, I do understand the importance of current and voltage but I’m still lost for the rest)

amazon(.)fr/gp/product/B07PGLXK4X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AWHN4J191C396&psc=1
I looked a bit and found this on amazon for a power supply but only chose is because it had that metal screw thing for putting the wires in but I don’t know if it even is included with the power supply and/or if it really is necessary for what I want to do.
How do I do go about choosing the power supply?

Any other tips for using stepper motors like precautions are greatly appreciated because this is my first time using them and, even though I’m being really careful, I might overlook some things.
Thanks!

You may be better picking up a CNC shield.
They can also be used in NON CNC modes.

It offers you some expandability along with proper power inputs.
All the pins are also broken out for you to use for other purposes too.

I would recommend as least a 12 volt power supply with enough current to handle however many stepper motors you eventually intend to use…

You can use whatever power supply that meets the voltage requirements and exceeds the current requirements. Always over size the current on them, I use 10% as a minimum. The most important thing is your “Reference” commonly known as ground. They must all be connected together. If you use some of the different boost, buck, and SEPIC converters be sure the ground passes through, I have seen a few that they controlled the ground side. These will you to get several different voltages from a single power supply. In the Arduino world, 12V seems to be one of the more common voltages used. You have a good supply, I have several currently in use at home. The next thing I would suggest is working with a CAD program, I use KiCad, it is used by a lot of people and is well supported. The price is great, all they ask is for a non required donation. Using this instead of a frizzy program will help you understand the circuits and how they work. Frizzing leaves a lot to be desired and most of the time they are very hard to read and require a knowledge of the hardware pinouts. The most important things at this point is to ask questions and have FUN!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.