How to wire external 5V to Sensor Shield (V4)?

I'll be needing three large servos and various sensors. I want neat wiring so I will use a standard Sensor Shield V4. I don't want noise from the servos to affect my UNO or drag down its 5V nor affect the analog sensors. The servos and sensors will be plugged into the Sensor Shield. How should I connect the external 5V supply to the noisy/powerful servos using the Sensor Shield V4? What pins should I use? Should I cut the 5V pin between the UNO and Shield? Should I connect all 5V pins together? Thanks for any replies.

warren631:
I'll be needing three large servos and various sensors. I want neat wiring so I will use a standard Sensor Shield V4. I don't want noise from the servos to affect my UNO or drag down its 5V nor affect the analog sensors. The servos and sensors will be plugged into the Sensor Shield. How should I connect the external 5V supply to the noisy/powerful servos using the Sensor Shield V4? What pins should I use? Should I cut the 5V pin between the UNO and Shield? Should I connect all 5V pins together? Thanks for any replies.

Yes, you would have to remove or bend the 5v pin on the shields connector pins. You can wire the new external +5vdc power and ground wire to anywhere on the sensor shield, maybe an unused 'brick' connector position?

Lefty

It might be simpler to buy a V5 sensor shield that has an external power terminal and use that. However, you lose the buckled brick ports that the V4 sensor shield has but the V5 shields do not (you have 3 wire ports for the analog pins, but not the locking buckled pins).

CAUTION:

There is no "Standard" for Version numbers on "Sensor Shields" ! I have seen four versions of "V4" and three "V5". Make sure you really check the photo / info for the one you buy. Some "V5" are totally different than most, with a lot of dedicated pins for different devices, and some have the separated +5 supply.

The MEGA Sensor Shield I carry has the separate +5 capability and lots of dedicated pinouts for stuff like Bluetooth and SD card etc.
http://goo.gl/gCwW7

Unfortunately confusing!

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...

terryking228:
CAUTION:

There is no “Standard” for Version numbers on “Sensor Shields” ! I have seen four versions of “V4” and three “V5”. Make sure you really check the photo / info for the one you buy. Some “V5” are totally different than most, with a lot of dedicated pins for different devices, and some have the separated +5 supply.

I had been wondering whether there were different versions of the shields, since the pictures look different. And many of the vendors seem to position the board so you can’t read who actually created the board (how convenient).