How to wire MSGEQ7 chip.

Hi, I'm new to arduino and I don't know how to wire the MSGEQ7 chip, I found this schema on the chip datasheet:

but I don't know how to interpret it I'm not an electronics engineer here is what i have understood:

|500x262

Can anyone please tell me if it is the correct way to wire the MSGEQ7 chip, did I make any mistake? also are the capacitors senses right?

Thank you in advance.

I've never used the MSGEQ7 but I've studied it a bit...

The manufacture's datasheet is always the best place to start.

The output (pin 3) is analog so it needs to go-to an Arduino analog input.

Probably the key to understanding the MSGEQ7 is the timing diagram which shows you how to use the Reset & Strobe inputs. They are both active negative-edge triggered.

The cycle starts with both inputs high and then you write a low to Reset and hold it low.

After a delay, write a low to Strobe and the Analog output represents the 63Hz band.

When you're ready, write a high to Strobe. Then low again. Now, the analog output represents the 160Hz, band.

After you're done with all 7 bands, start-over again with a new reset.

There are some minimum times so everything can get set up.

If you can’t wire it up get a ready built shield. It will have example code.

Hi and thank you for your answers,

Grumpy_Mike: If you can’t wire it up get a ready built shield. It will have example code.

I didn't know that a ready built shield exists, I have already bought the MSGEQ7 chip.

DVDdoug: Probably the key to understanding the MSGEQ7 is the timing diagram which shows you how to use the Reset & Strobe inputs. They are both active negative-edge triggered.

The cycle starts with both inputs high and then you write a low to Reset and hold it low.

After a delay, write a low to Strobe and the Analog output represents the 63Hz band.

When you're ready, write a high to Strobe. Then low again. Now, the analog output represents the 160Hz, band.

After you're done with all 7 bands, start-over again with a new reset.

There are some minimum times so everything can get set up.

Thank you for your clarifications but I'm more interested in wiring so can anyone please confim this is the correct way of wiring this chip.

|500x262

Thanks a lot.

so can anyone please confim this is the correct way of wiring this chip.

As a schematic it sucks and is very difficult to read.

It is not the correct way of wiring up the chip, it will not work.

The analogue output of the chip Pin 3 should go into one of the analogue inputs.

Pins 1 & 8 should be connected together with a 200K resistor and pin 8 should have a 33pF capacitor to ground, nothing else should be on those pins.

Pin 6 is the ground pin and should be connected directly to ground, not to a capacitor.

Pin 2 should be connected to ground.

While the audio input connected to the chip is correct you have not shown the ground of the audio input which should be connected to the Arduino's ground. Also it will need more voltage from the audio amplifier than you can get from something like an iPad / pod on full blast, it is better to have a X10 amplifier on the front end.

However pins 7 & 4 are connected correctly. ;) Or at least the software driving those pins will determine if it works.

Grumpy_Mike: As a schematic it sucks and is very difficult to read.

Sorry I didn't know that it was difficult to read, here is a new schematic i did my best, can you please tell me if it is correctly wired. schema url. thanks a lot.

Sorry but that is not a schematic and is even harder to read. It is a physical layout diagram and is to show people who don’t know any better where to put wires.

The worst thing about it is that none of the components have any values on them, apart from the resistors and those are shown as 10K which is wrong.

You also seem to have ignored what I said about the analogue input. So it is not wired correctly. I said

The analogue output of the chip Pin 3 should go into one of the analogue inputs.

You have pin 3 of the chip connected to a digital input of the Arduino also pin 3.

Currently I am on a mobile device and can’t access the correct schematic. So I can’t go through pin by pin with what is wrong but as you ignored what I said last time then it makes me wonder why bother?

If there is anything in reply #4 you don’t understand then asks about it specifically do not ignore me.

What you need to do if you insist on using Fritzing is to use the schematic tab and not the layout tab.