How to wire Without module 0.49" oled screen ?

Hi everyone,
I’ve got 5 piece of OLED screen which are ordered before from china and they don’t have module. I found their datasheet. I guess my boss ordered them in order to save some space but I realized it needs a circuit to be functional.Its datasheet says many thing but I’m not sure if they are really necessary.

Do you guys know if I can make this modulless screen work with using SDA and SCL pins of Ardunio Mega

Second question is;
there is VDD and VCC. Which one I must connect to 5V exactly?

Datasheet:

Edit: I’m using Arduino Mega and later on I’m gonna use esp12

It has a driver, it only needs a couple of passives to work. I think you want to use the build in charge pump for Vcc and I would say you can leave off the transistors if you don't want to switch power to the screen.

erondem:
there is VDD and VCC. Which one I must connect to 5V exactly?

To non if you want it to life... It's a 3,3V device :wink:

I tried;

OLED–MEGA

VCC to 3.3
VSS to GND
SDA to SDA
SCL to SCL

no answer from screen. Should I make a circuit like this in the datasheet?

Of course that does not work... The datasheet doesn't tell you it needs more then that just for fun...

And that schematic needs, like the title says, an external Vcc for the OLED. I thought I saw that must be around 7V or so. An easier option is to use the charge pump and build "I2C interface with internal charge pump".

Vbat_in and Vdd can be the same I think and I think you can leave out Q1, Q2, R1 and R2 if you don't want to be able to disable the OLED. Aka, connect Vbat to Vdd.

Don't forget that RES needs to be high so a pull up resistor is useful.

septillion:
Of course that does not work... The datasheet doesn't tell you it needs more then that just for fun...

And that schematic needs, like the title says, an external Vcc for the OLED. I thought I saw that must be around 7V or so. An easier option is to use the charge pump and build "I2C interface with internal charge pump".

Vbat_in and Vdd can be the same I think and I think you can leave out Q1, Q2, R1 and R2 if you don't want to be able to disable the OLED. Aka, connect Vbat to Vdd.

Don't forget that RES needs to be high so a pull up resistor is useful.

I did all connections except Q1 Q2 R1 R2 (Vbat to VDD), still there is no response from oled. Even if there is no code inside,(I also tried with some libraries) is it normal to have no response? I thought there will be some light on the oled.

Go on. Look at the schematic of any pcb module. If the bare display requires some external capacitors or pullup resistors, you just copy what the proven pcb module does.

Yes, if you are keen, you can study the datasheet to see why you have external components and how to calculate the values.

If you are lazy ( like me), you just steal the proven schematic and layout.
Not everything Chinese is well designed. Compare designs from different companies.

David.

david_prentice:
Go on. Look at the schematic of any pcb module. If the bare display requires some external capacitors or pullup resistors, you just copy what the proven pcb module does.

Yes, if you are keen, you can study the datasheet to see why you have external components and how to calculate the values.

If you are lazy ( like me), you just steal the proven schematic and layout.
Not everything Chinese is well designed. Compare designs from different companies.

David.

I actually take that circuit from datasheet and luckly all the values are given in the datasheet. I'm not sure if problem is my circuit or software but I couldn't find any proper example althought I searched really hard.

Also its really difficult to solder these small (0.35m) pins. I think its better to draw a new circuit just for this oled.

You can buy ribbon adapter pcb from Ebay. e.g. with multiple footprints to solder different size and pitch ribbons.
You can also buy ribbon connectors.

At the end of the day you might just as well buy a ready made pcb module from Ebay. They have 0.1" male headers for jumper cables or breadboards. I mount a female header on a Protoshield. So I can mount an OLED pcb easily on a Zero, Nucleo, ...

If you do want to solder wires directly to the ribbon, buy some 30AWG wire-wrap wire.

David.

When display is connected correctly, even if it has no code inside, does it supposed to powered up and should I see any light on the screen?

No, you will not see anything unless you wire it correctly and run proper library code.
e.g. Arduino_SSD1306

There is work in progress to support this OLED for u8g2:

In fact I would be happy if someone could test this kind of OLED with u8g2. Code is already implemented, see the above link.

Oliver