How would I display "Hello World" across the serial TX line to test serial com?

Alright, I'll try and keep this short and sweet. I'm in the process of building a kegbot, and I plan on using an iDevice as the frontend for the user interaction. I also want the iDevice to talk to the Arduino via serial communication. I have spent a considerable amount of time researching the topic, and it seems doable.

So for I have jailbroken the iPhone (5.1.1), installed ssh, terminal, and minicom. I found a good tutorial describing some of the steps here. I then soldered a custom iDevice 30 pin dock connector. Now I am at the point where I want to load a simple sketch on the Arduino, and have it output something simple to see if the iPhone can read the data going across the serial connection using terminal with minicom on the iPhone to read a simple "Hello World" message being broadcasted/transmitted from the Arduino serial TX port. I know a simple sketch would do the trick, I have never written a sketch before so I am little behind the curb on that. Thanks for reading.

cheers - Chris

How about the ASCIITable example in the 04.Communication section of the Examples in the Arduino IDE?

majenko: How about the ASCIITable example in the 04.Communication section of the Examples in the Arduino IDE?

Are you refering to this example -> http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ASCIITable

And does that transmit the data out of the TX port on the Arduino?

Looks like that's the one. Here's a minimalist version:

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println("Hello World");
}

void loop()
{
}

Note that you'll have to match up the baud rate on the two devices.

wildbill: Looks like that's the one. Here's a minimalist version:

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println("Hello World");
}

void loop() { }

Note that you'll have to match up the baud rate on the two devices.

thanks for the example i loaded the asciitable example on the arduino already :-l I am presently trying to figure out how to get 5VDC to 3.3VDC using a 1K ohm resistor (fun).

and also thanks for reminding me about the baud rate, i changed it to 9600 on the iphone, hopefully flow control won't make a difference.

I am presently trying to figure out how to get 5VDC to 3.3VDC using a 1K ohm resistor (fun).

You can't do it using 1 resistor. You need two, in the proper ratio.

Given the fact that the Arduino has both a 5V and 3.3V regulator on board, I can't see why you want to do this, though.

PaulS:

I am presently trying to figure out how to get 5VDC to 3.3VDC using a 1K ohm resistor (fun).

You can't do it using 1 resistor. You need two, in the proper ratio.

Given the fact that the Arduino has both a 5V and 3.3V regulator on board, I can't see why you want to do this, though.

I am under the impression that the Serial TX sends a signal of 5V which I can confirm with my multimeter. I read that sending a 5V signal to the iphone's serial TX RX pins could potential be bad for the iphone so a signal of 3.3V was necessary.

I found this -> http://www.makingthings.com/documentation/how-to/scale-a-5v-signal-to-3.3v/ and used similar resistors to get roughly a 3.3V signal to the iphone.

I am still having no luck with receiving the data the Arduino is broadcasting / sending over serial.