how would you pry this open?

i just want the ir sensor i don't want the rest of the chip. any suggestions on how to pry it off?

The IR sensor needs to be carefully de-soldered from the board in order to remove it. Then to use it, you will need to design and build an amplifier, all of which is on that board already.

Can always pick one up new, this like yours:

Bigger list of parts:

A hair dryer might be hot enough... not tried I use a paint gun.

bmarconi:
i just want the IR sensor i don't want the rest of the chip. any suggestions on how to pry it off?

Yet again, why?

Why, why, why?

cjdelphi:
A hair dryer might be hot enough...

I very much doubt it.

cjdelphi:
not tried I use a paint gun.

Yeah! :o

I meant paint stripper gun.... heat gun, I don't fire paint balls at it lol

I do know what you meant. I figure it would be just hot enough.

My concern, as jremington, is what possible use could you make of it that would require other than the support circuitry already on the board? Most signals you would want, such as a DC buffered version of the IR signal, should be able to be picked off the board with a little probing.

And it is inherently a differential device with two adjacent sensors; I do not know whether it facilitates an absolute output at all.

bmarconi:
i just want the ir sensor i don't want the rest of the chip. any suggestions on how to pry it off?

Carefully positioned high explosives should do the trick...

(seriously, WHY do you want to do this? You're certainly not going to build a better PIR detector than the one you want to destroy).

And it is inherently a differential device with two adjacent sensors; I do not know whether it facilitates an absolute output at all.

One can use a black mask to opaque one half of the window, this will give a positive gain for IR. But it is basically worthless as it is not calibrated for anything!

Likely, the MLX90614 is what you want. MLX90614-615
Infrared Thermometer/

Ray