HTPA32x32d I2C sensor not connected

Hi, I am trying to connect the htpa32x32d thermopile array from heimann sensors to my lattepanda arduino. I connected my circuits as shown in the schematic without the capacitors and used 10k instead of 4.7k pullup resistors. Then I used jumper wire to connect the SDA, SCL, Vdd and Gnd to arduino. However when I Wire.read(), I keep getting 255. I did a scan and found out that there are no I2C device connected. Can anyone tell me if my connection or code is wrong? Thank you very much!

schematic.PNG

schematic.PNG

More links please ! and show the sketch as text between code-tags.

So the LattePanda is a mini computer running Windows 10 with a onboard ATmega32u4 (as used in the Arduino Leonardo). Is it running at 5V and 16MHz ? Then it has a 5V I2C bus. Are there pullup resistors for the I2C bus, is that mentioned somewhere ? Is there a schematic for the LattePanda where I can see pullup resistors ?

Manufacturer's page of the HTPA32x32d: https://www.heimannsensor.com/32x32.
I can not find any specification for the I2C bus or the registers.

It is a 3.3V sensor, it might get damaged when connecting the SDA and SCL to a 5V I2C bus.

Use a I2C Scanner sketch to find the address.

Can you get a 3.3V Arduino board with SAMD processor. Such as the Arduino Zero or MKR board ?

Your code is okay to read a byte from register 0.
However, if you are not communicating with the sensor, then Wire.endTransmission() returns an error and reading data will return -1, and that converted to a byte will be 255.

Thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile: . I tried it on an arduino uno replica board and ran the I2C scanner sketch and no I2C devices were detected. In the datasheet that I was given, it says: "The chip uses the 7-bit I²C address 0x1A for configuration and sensor data and the 7-bit I²C address 0x50 to access the internal EEPROM. The address byte is followed by a W/R bit and an 8-bit command". I assume the address of the i2c slave is 0x1A?

I am new to I2C and I am not sure if I connected the circuit correctly. My replica arduino's pin config is slightly different than the original arduino uno's.