Humanitarian project, Pollutants galore!

I'm looking for deducing Arsenic, pesticides, insecticides and other metals constituency in water and soil.

Lil bit of background:

recently there's been a very high increase in cancer and mental impairment in children with Blue baby syndrome in some nearby places, people have been found with pesticides in their blood! The water they drink is a vicious poisnous cocktail! So what I'm trying to do is first deduce that what all sorts of pollutants are there in the water and if possible soil too and then devise a remedy to cure them. Seeking advice on tackling both the above cases.

Noble goal,

I expect those sensors be (extreme?) expensive. Although maybe some poisons can be detected easily, it is very hard to be sure that no others are in, and that would give people the illusion the water is save.

I would rather spent the effort in a system that collects (relative) clean rainwater and (solar based) distillation devices, which might need temperature control or so. If no rainwater is available other water sources might be used. Be aware that a good distillation system is not trivial either => long columns at the right temperature are needed. Additional heat exchanges can help cool the clean water and heat up the "dirty" water.

for inspiration google images: solar distillation of water

Hey rob,

I was previously suggested by a Physicist to use the optical spectrum to look for each and every minute small bateria/virus/metal/elements in it, I'm not sure what you think about this?

I expect those sensors be (extreme?) expensive. Although maybe some poisons can be detected easily, it is very hard to be sure that no others are in, and that would give people the illusion the water is save.

Yes I think so...The sensors are pretty costly but maybe one set of sensors per village can be enough and just what we need if I'm able to devise a system wherein all the various water sources spread accross the village can be tested as one single point, with various sources being closed and open to test at one time and to know which one source has what all characterics!!

Well anytype of purity level is good for them because these people already have 62 mentally impaired kids back in 150 homes in a single village and the elders are in addition to this so ,whatever good we do adds to the total solution, but yeah! we need to be like try to solve as much as we can.

about the cost, if the system does some good pollutants gauging and distillation stuff then we can tap the local government to get the systems financed, After all they are also in the radar of this shit because the stuff which whole of the world and India eats is grown there.

As Shannon said, there are probably better ways to spend the effort and finding clean drinking water is obviously a major issue. Solar water distillers are easy and cheap to build and the village could put effort into making a large one if they dont want to do it individually. Assuming there is reasonable sunlight available of course.

Sometimes we over-complicate an issue because we are academically interested or attached to the solution we have found. Often an alternative simple effective cheap solution can be found without too much trouble. Maybe this is the case here.

I have often over-complicated an issue like this. :-)

I have often over-complicated an issue like this. :-)

We are not dealing here with just bacterial and viral pollution , we have arsenic ,metal etc pollutants with insecticides + pesticides so I think its not that easy to eliminate all these nature of pollutants.