I am a begginer, help me buy my arduino!

Hello! People of the arduino! First time post here, and first time ive been really interested in arduino! so why am i here?! i want to know which arduino do i need for building a quadcopter?! i am still a starter who know nothing but i have a time limit, and i want to go all out! i want to program it myself (i am familiar with C++ and visual basic, should help) to have a remote control mode and a auto mode and switch between while its in the sky! i want to know: which arduino to buy?! and what does the "digital/analog i/os" pins or whatever mean? i think that i need a breakout board of some sort, help with that too would be appreciated. my problem is that i live all the way out here in UAE, where parts are not readily available! ive managed to find a good website though www.zeroohm.ae and it has a good percentage sparkfun's inventory! i know almost all electrical components and have used all components that i think i need, i am pretty good at physics, and i do know how to solder pretty neatly (so i am not ruling out the pro)

look for "arducopter"

Perhaps you didnt even see the details i gave?! i want to make one my own, and arducopter is just a project which was done, and i couldnt find any mention of arduino used or anything similar.... please read my post because such answers wont help me, and i need explanations for alot of things as i am completely new to arduino

If quadcopter and Arduino parts are hard to come by, maybe you've picked the wrong project to cut your teeth on.

On seconds thoughts, there's no "maybe" about it - it's definite.

AnasMalas: please read my post because such answers wont help me, and i need explanations for alot of things as i am completely new to arduino

I think that @knut_ny's answer was very helpful.

If you are "completely new to arduino" don't even think of trying to make a quadcopter. I suspect even an arducopter would be a major challenge for a newcomer.

Start with something achievable.

...R

This page http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/ardupilot-mega-2-6-side-entry.html
mention atmega 2560…

is it that hard to recommend a board?! ive worked in robotics before, just that this is my first time in the arduino zone. i could use my pi b+, but ive heard that arduino is better for robotics. i want to do it all by myself, i am a quick learner and i have a time limit, hence why i posted here after wasting hours with no answers what so ever.

AWOL: If quadcopter and Arduino parts are hard to come by, maybe you've picked the wrong project to cut your teeth on.

On seconds thoughts, there's no "maybe" about it - it's definite.

there are parts, especially drone parts, there is an entire dedicated shop for blades, body etc. if a board is not available i will just use amazon international.

AnasMalas:
is it that hard to recommend a board?!

As far as I can see the problem is with your ability to read and absorb the info here.

What board does an Arducopter use? - why not use one of those?
@knut-ny has mentioned a Mega 2560

Does the weight of the board matter?

Have you considered that there is a good reason why you have not got a simple “do this” answer?

…R

I am sorry if i am causing an annoyance, but bear with me. i am a beginner, i know nothing. that is why i posted so that someone could explain. did i not try to work to find the answer? No, i did! But all i could find is comparison charts that i couldent understand. he said atmega 2560, which for my lack of experience i didnt know was a typo, and i did google "atmega 2560" which i couldent find a thing for. then i visited the link and found a product that didnt look like an arduino, and costs much more.

Please dont assume that i want to make the quadcopter the second i have it. i cant buy two, so i wanted to know what board was good for a quadcopter. i can use it to learn before attempting the quadcopter instead of buying multiple.

about the mass, it doesnt really matter. i am making a powerful one to carry a go pro. it wont be more heavy, will it?

on a side note, i found the mega, before i go out and buy it, how many sensors, motors, and things like a radio transmitter can it have at once?

and i did google "atmega 2560" which i couldent find a thing for

Only 661 000 results

Have a look at MultiWii as a lot of the the flight controllers are basically Arduino's and you program them using the arduino IDE. Yes the code has already been written by someone else but that does not stop you from just writing your own software instead. The nice thing about the boards are they have the extras you would need for a flight controller (IMU, Compass & barometer) built in and the board is smaller than an UNO.

Might also be worth looking at this thread and following the video links.

AWOL: Only 661 000 results

" ;lkjhgfds " got me 40,000 results, does it means they are useful?! i have my settings at default set to look in my area, as in specified that it is inside UAE. i forgot to set it to global and it got me things that are not circuit related.

but even if i didnt look good enough, you ignored my the entire thing i wrote and just picked on this little thing?!

if i am asking a simple question with sufficient detail and get hate spewed at me, when i actually get an answer, and buy one. what will you do when i ask a question i couldent get an answer for?!

Oh Thanks riva! finally something clear enough to follow! i checked multiwii and they had some useful things. thanks again!

AnasMalas: " ;lkjhgfds " got me 40,000 results, does it means they are useful?!

I was unaware that " ;lkjhgfds " had been suggested as a search string. My bad.

AnasMalas: but bear with me. i am a beginner, i know nothing.....

Please dont assume that i want to make the quadcopter the second i have it. i cant buy two, so i wanted to know what board was good for a quadcopter.

We have been bearing with you. I don't believe it is possible to buy parts now for a future quadcopter if, as you say, you know nothing. It is only after you have learned quite an amount about the Arduino system - how it works, what its capabilities and limitations are - that you will be able to decide what is necessary for a very complex project such as a quadcopter.

on a side note, i found the mega, before i go out and buy it, how many sensors, motors, and things like a radio transmitter can it have at once?

Lots of things. This question is like "how long is a piece of string".

I do understand the frustration of wanting to get clear answers so you don't waste your money. Alas, it is not that simple. Buy an Uno or Mega now and learn how to use it. Then you will be able to formulate better focused questions. The Uno is the most "standard" of the Arduino boards and the Mega is like an Uno with extras.

For any airborne device the mass of the board matters. Ask Boeing or Airbus how much they are willing to spend to reduce the mass of components. Every extra gram will reduce your flying time.

...R

alright, thanks again. but what do you think would be a good entry project into a national wide competition for creative projects?! i was thinking of a quadcopter that could be controlled, but even while mid air with a flick of a switch, it will go into auto mode. it would have a gopro attached to it and a basic camera module for nothing other than tracking the object that it would automatically follow and shoot videos of. it would be able to evade all targets by comparing data from 4 sensors and going by the path of the one having the most distance but also an open space.

You think that's a beginner project? Only if you had a small engineering team helping you out.

Maybe you could start ground based like this http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=308797.msg2142817#msg2142817 and get the sensor part working to find the target and follow it around.

Even if you could build it the chance of programming "automode " is slim to none. You need a GPS module and lots of memory, which you don’t have in an arduino UNO or mega. (Mega has more than UNO but probably not enough for storing flight plan) I could be wrong. If you have less than
a dozen waypoints it might be doable.

im in a middle of arduino quadcopter project BUT I have some experience in arduino.
i bought this APM 2.6 arducopter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/APM-2-6-APM2-6-Flight-Controller-Board-For-Multicopter-ARDUPILOT-MEGA-2-5-2-Case-/131235748099?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8e429903

this board can be programmed by arduino software and its exactly like an arduino board.
this board include gyro/accelerometer(mpu6000) and barometer sensor(MS5611).
These sensors communicate via SPI communication.

I would recommend buying this board for your project.