I am new to this and need some help to see if a Arduino can do what I am thinkin

Hi I am a mechanical and I am trying to manipulate how a my truck locks the torque converter in 4 gear and I didn't know if there was was a way for an Arduino to use the speed of the truck with the throttle position to lock the converter up and have different values for different speed and throttle position for it to lock or unlock lock thanks

It is likely that an arduino is capable of the processing that will be required to do what you want.

The question is are there appropriate Arduino compatible sensors and actuators that allow the arduino to do the locking at the appropriate time.

I can't help you beyond that because I know little about torque converters in truck engines.

Perhaps a photo of the device on you engine and some idea of how much force is required to lock it might enable others in here to give you more specific help.

You should also be aware of the fine print in the Atmel microprocessor datasheets

Atmel products are not suitable for, and shall not be used in, automotive applications.

...R

Robin2:
You should also be aware of the fine print in the Atmel microprocessor datasheets
...R

Out of pure curiosity.....do you have any idea why that is?

I am guessing due to the high temperature in the engine bay.

But what if you were to locate the Arduino in the cabin under the dashboard and just run wires through to the engine?

boylesg:

Probably because they don't want to be sued when there is a car crash.

...R

boylesg:

I am guessing due to the high temperature in the engine bay.

But what if you were to locate the Arduino in the cabin under the dashboard and just run wires through to the engine?

It could just as easily be the notoriously dirty electrical environment.

Or the fact that they have a separate range of (presumably more expensive) automotive products?

Or the fact that they have a separate range of (presumably more expensive) automotive products?

It's more likely because they have lawyers.

PaulS:
It's more likely because they have lawyers.

I suspect Atmel might relent if its lawyers got a long letter from lawyers for a large automotive corporation stating clearly that the large automotive corporation would take all responsibility for things going wrong.

Hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts can't afford those lawyers.

...R

Bvzr2:
a way for an Arduino to use the speed of the truck with the throttle position to lock the converter up and have different values for different speed and throttle position for it to lock or unlock lock thanks

boylesg:
It is likely that an arduino is capable of the processing that will be required to do what you want.

Before you think of having an Arduino use the speed and throttle to do something, you need to ask if there's a way YOU could do it. The Arduino, or any such device, will merely do your bidding, and the coding might be as trivial as saying if the speed is between such and such, and the throttle position is between so and so, then do yadda yadda. If the speed is between yay and yay while the throttle is between yo and yo, do fishpaste. That's the easy part.

The difficult part may be for you to determine all those limits and decision points.

Only when you have those in mind, does this come into play:

boylesg:
The question is are there appropriate Arduino compatible sensors and actuators that allow the arduino to do the locking at the appropriate time.

... since if you don't know the relationships between the sensor inputs and the actuator outputs, there's not a lot of point at looking at hardware.