I can't upload my programs to my brand new Genuino UNO board - Please help!

Hi,

I have just received my first Genuino Starter Kit. I am trying to upload the blink example sketch (according to page 15 to 20) and keeps getting this error message:

Sketch uses 1.066 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32.256 bytes. Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2.039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2.048 bytes. avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x12 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x12 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x12 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x12 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x12 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x12 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x12 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x12 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x12 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x12

[u]What I have tried to solve the problem:[/u] - The "ON" led is green. OK. - The L1 was blinking already when I connected the bord to the PC the very first time. So the 1 second blink sketch was already uploaded and the Bootloader then has to be ok also. Right??? - I´m trying to upload the example blink sketch with the two 1000 delays replaced with 100 delays so I can be sure if I am uploading succesfully. - All beneath has been tried with to different PC´s both running windows 10 and three different USB cables. - Checked that "Genuino Uno" is chosen in Tools->Board. OK. - Checked that Serial port "COM4 Arduino/Genuino Uno" is chosen in Tools->Port. OK. - Checked Windows 10 device manager->Port (COM and LPT)->Genuino Uno (COM4) AND checked/updated driver software (Driver version is: 1.0.3.0 from 07-01-2016). OK, right??? - I have tried activation the reset button right before selecting Upload and at different intervals after selecting Upload (Like suggested on the website troubleshooting). - When I try to upload the RX flashes 3 times quickly and the with long intervals. TX does not flash at all.

If I click Tools->Get Board Info, it displays the board serial no etc. so something must be working. Right???

I have read the troubleshooting and in the forum, but it does not help me.

My board keeps blinking with 1 second interval and the Arduino software (1.6.9) keeps popping up with the same error message.

What am I missing :o ???

Best regards Christian

I would suggest something other than Windows 10. You will see many people with problems when using Windows 10.

Hi ieee488,

Ok thanks! I will try with my work computer tomorrow. I think that one runs windows 7. Fingers crossed:)...

Br Christian

If you have an older PC, you can always try Linux Mint. Arduino IDE 1.6.9 works with my Linux Mint.

• Checked Windows 10 device manager->Port (COM and LPT)->Genuino Uno (COM4) AND checked/updated driver software (Driver version is: 1.0.3.0 from 07-01-2016). OK, right???

The driver does not look correct. I use the IDE with windows 10 and CH340 boards without problem.

Try

http://www.winchiphead.com/download/CH341/CH341SER.ZIP

ieee488 > I tried my work computer that runs Win 7 today. It did not work. Same error message.

cattledog > On my win 10 computer, I followed your link, unpacked the files i a folder and reinstalled the driver using this folder (And subfolders). It did not work.

Any other suggestions are VERY welcome?!

Br
Christian

What is the device manager showing for the driver?

When I open Ports(COM & LPT) in Device Manager I see USB-SERIAL CH340(COM#)

Opening that I see in General that the Manufacturer is wch.cn

and under the Driver Tab

Driver Provider wch.cn
Driver Date 11/4/2011
Driver Version 3.3.2011.11

If you have something different, I’m not sure the driver is correctly installed.

He is using a Genuino board - the genuino board uses a 16u2 as serial adapter, not a CH340G.

No official board has a CH340G - only clones do. The clones work and all, but OP should not expect to see any reference to CH340G with a genuino board.

I think it is unlikely to be a driver issue - usually if there are driver problems, it doesn't get far enough to get a sync error...

When you press and release reset, you should see the L light rapidly blink three times. Does that happen? Does it happen when you attempt to upload?

Hi cattledog,

On my Win 10 computer and with the standard driver from the Arduino home page, it is...

Device Manager> Genuino Uno (COM6).

General tab>

Driver tab> Provider: Arduino LLC (www.arduino.cc) Date: 07-01-2016 Version: 1.0.3.0 Signature: Arduino LLC

On my Win 10 computer and with the driver from the winchiphead home page, it is...

Actually, it seems as a standard windows USB driver from 2006. I dont think the driver from winchiphead has been properly installed. There is a setup.exe file among the driver files I have downloaded from your link. However, as the readme file is in Chinese(??), I am not to comfortable running this setup.exe file...

I dont really get this - A suitable driver (for Win 10 / Win 7) should be available from the Arduino home page - But its not?

Br Christian

Hi DrAzzy,

Thank you for your post!

Pressing and holding down the reset > The L light stays ON as long as I hold down the reset.

Pressing and releasing the reset > The L light stays ON for approx. 1 second and then continue running the 1 second blink sketch.

It does not in any case rapidly blink three times...

What does this mean to you?

Br Christian

He is using a Genuino board - the genuino board uses a 16u2 as serial adapter, not a CH340G.

No official board has a CH340G - only clones do. The clones work and all, but OP should not expect to see any reference to CH340G with a genuino board.

YIKES. Havneren I sincerely apologize.

I don't know where I got the idea you had a clone with a CH340.

Once again, I'm sorry for leading you down a useless path.

Cattledog >

Its the though that counts - Thanks for trying:)! I am REALLY exited regarding Arduino. I dont hope my current start-up issue will destroy my enthusiasm...

Br Christian

DrAzzy: When you press and release reset, you should see the L light rapidly blink three times. Does that happen? Does it happen when you attempt to upload?

Have you checked this? This would be a useful data point. You mention the RX light blinking three times in succession; it makes me suspicious that you're misidentifying the LEDs, and that's actually the L (pin13) LED...

But, that all said, it still doesn't really make sense why it's not working, though we also don't have much to go on... The "out of sync" error is very non-specific; basically any problem from "wrong board selected" (hence it's using the wrong baud rate to try to talk to it) to "someone sawed the arduino board in half" - as long as the serial adapter thinks it's working, that's what you get if there's a problem.

Hi DrAzzy,

Please see post nr. #9 in respect to checking the reset and light.

Misidentifying the LEDs? I dont think so >
Theres ON: Always green when connected to my computer (Turned on).
Theres L: Its an output from the uploaded sketch. Its is blinking orange with 1 seconds intervals as per the pre-uploaded 1 second blink sketch.
Theres RX: Blinking 3 times when pressing upload and then once every time it starts a new attempt I think.
Theres TX: Never seen this one on???

Sawed in halv >
Let me check this on :slight_smile: haha!
No… Its brand new right out f the box. No physical damage detectable.

Br
Christian

Pressing and releasing the reset > The L light stays ON for approx. 1 second and then continue running the 1 second blink sketch.

It does not in any case rapidly blink three times...

What does this mean to you?

You say that the L led is happily blinking with a one second period, so it sounds like the default blink sketch is loaded. When you press and release the reset button, the L led should flash rapidly three times and then resume its one second blink.

The fact that its not blinking with reset would indicate a problem with the bootloader, but it is an official board and its unlikely that it was an unprogammed chip.

I have seen references to pressing on the Atmega 328 chip to reseat it which fixed this problem.

Hi everyone,

I filed in a complaint two days ago to Arduino and now they are sending me a new board. I am a little disappointed in regard to the time I have wasted trying to get it to work, but happy about the Arduino complaint procedure.

Thanks guys for your help!

Br Christian

Hello Arduino/Genuino community,

I have (almost) the very same problem as you did Havneren : mine keeps blinking with the 1s up/down pattern. I don’t have the “3 quick blinks” when I start uploading.

I received the starter kit 2 weeks ago.

I tried with :

• 3 different computers (2 desktop with Windows 7, one laptop with both Windows 8 And Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS)
  • 2 different USB cables (and all the USB plugs I add on my computers)
  • different drivers for UNO (Arduino LLC and Arduino SRL)

I both tried to follow the very exact way described in the starter kit, and also many possible troubleshooting / forum solutions to these problems. Nothing helped.

I was very careful at verifying that the drivers were correctly installed, and that the correct board and port were selected in Arduino IDE (up to date).

Did the new board work with you Havneren ? Or did the problem persists with the new board ? I don’t want to send a complaint if I am not 100% sure it is not coming from my side.

Please let me now if you found any solution, or if the board was actually the problem.

Thank you for your support !