I got burned with the temp reader

I'm concerned about the safety of this product, I have an Arduino Uno, and I was following the 'love o meter' tutorial in the instruction book which includes the temperature reader component. I followed the tutorial to the best of my ability, I'm not sure if I got it entirely correct, but when I plugged in the Arduino to start the programming part of the task I touched the sensor and burned my finger.

I feel as if this component should have a warning about it heating up in any of the tutorials it is used, as it is supposed to be touched. This could be a potential health and safety violation, as there is no part in the book to warn users about its ability to heat up to such a high temperature.

It definitely doesn't heat up under normal operation, so there would be no point in a warning. There's a good chance you wired it wrong. If you create a dead short in any component it gets hot, or even burns, so you'd need to have warnings on everything.

Please check very carefully your wiring against the instructions in the book. Even after correcting the wiring, most likely the sensor was destroyed. However, you can buy a replacement very cheaply from wherever you prefer to purchase electronic components.

Can’t go back to the good old days of buying lawn darts and wood burning pens at the 5&10 store.

Surprised Home Depot doesn’t have “Warning, This product may hurt or kill” on everything they sell by now.

pert:
There's a good chance you wired it wrong.

However, you can buy a replacement very cheaply from wherever you prefer to purchase electronic components.

Yep. Flipping the LM35 the wrong way round is common with beginners. Tripple-check.

Don't need to find or write down the model number of the part.
Just show them your burned-in finger.
Leo..

claireeld:
I’m not sure if I got it entirely correct, but when I plugged in the Arduino to start the programming part of the task I touched the sensor and burned my finger.

I feel as if this component should have a warning about it heating up in any of the tutorials it is used, as it is supposed to be touched. This could be a potential health and safety violation, as there is no part in the book to warn users about its ability to heat up to such a high temperature.

So you did not check that you had wired it correctly before applying power ?

Before you get carried away implying that ‘This could be a potential health and safety violation’ do check that you wired it correctly.